Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2001 Ford SD 7.3 Crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 08:08 AM
Default 2001 Ford SD 7.3 Crank no start

I was driving about 60 mph and the truck died, I put the truck in nutrale and it turned over and drove for about five miles and then died with no restart. I left the truck set for about 8 hours and came back to it and it started right back up. I drove about 15 miles and it died again. got the truck towed home. I have checked all the fuses and relays, dropped the tank and checked the pick-up tubs. I replaced the IRP, CPS, fuel pump, ECM and the high pressure oil pump. with each fix I tried to start the truck. nothing I'm get fuel in the filter bowl and the glow plug wait light comes on and off. Does anyone have some Ideas?

Old 11-02-2020, 10:42 AM

Is the oil level in the high press oil pump reservoir at least an inch from the top when you remove the plug?

Old 11-18-2020, 08:15 AM

The oil level is about 1/2" from the top of the high pressure oil pump and the engine oil is good to go.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:55 AM

Can you monitor the engine parameters? It would be helpful to see the cranking values for ICP and IPR duty cycle when it is hot and won't start.

Likely to be blown injector top o-ring (or a leak in an o-ring in a high pressure oil line if there oil in the engine valley). An air test (best to use the test fitting that screws into the IPR valve port) will tell you where the leak is.

Also, make sure the ICP sensor connector isn't leaking oil through it.

Last edited by bismic; 11-19-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:02 PM

Thanks for taking time to write back to me. I ordered a Forscan OBD2 for my truck. The truck will not start at all. There is 260,000 miles on the truck so the o-rings being bad is not to fare off to check into it. I've replaced the IPR valve and the high pressure oil pump so I do have a little oil in the valley. I don't have an oil leak in the line, so one of the last things to replace is the o-rings on the Injectors.

I looked on E-bay and Amazon for a kit, but there is a lot of people with different opinions. where would be a good place to get a kit and the tools to remove the caps from?

Old 11-19-2020, 01:20 PM

Personally I would only use OEM parts (including the o-ring seal kits AND valve cover gaskets). Someone here may have the part numbers handy. I don't.

My valve cover gaskets were leaking electrical current to the engine - to the extent that I would get a static shock when first putting the key in the lock. So if the gaskets have seen over 50k miles of use, then I would change them. YMMV.

The o-ring kit for my 97 HD (OBS) is XC3Z-9229-AB. Not sure if that would fit yours, I think it would, but you should verify.
or
https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/94.html

I know my valve cover gasket part won't work for you.

I was watching a video that discussed "shimming" the injectors if you are going to re-do the o-rings on all of them.

Last edited by bismic; 11-19-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:57 PM

Here is a good source for parts:

https://shop.fullforcediesel.com/73-...-install-parts

Might be worth doing all the glow plugs as well (if you are re o-ringing all the injectors).

Old 11-19-2020, 02:07 PM

Thanks, I'll go on line and look it up. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and the glow plugs about eight months ago. had a small leak on the passenger side. But I'll check out the site.
Thanks.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:12 PM

I can't vouch for the injector tuner up (shim kit) idea. Just something I saw.

I have 290k miles on my 1997 with the original injectors. I know I am going to need to do something with them soon. Probably just replace them.

Good deal on having replaced your glow plugs. IMO they are good for about 150k miles tops!

Old 11-19-2020, 02:15 PM

Not a bad idea to replace the glow plugs also.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ford SD 7.3 Crank no start