Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

89 F250 starter ignition switch repair problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Default 89 F250 starter ignition switch repair problems.

I have an 89 f250 with no tilt steering. I found the reason whymy ignition had trouble staying in one position. I pulled apart my steering wheel and steering column. The rod that runs down the column to the the Ignition Starter Switch is still good I believe, but the steel bracket that holds the starter switch was broke and the mechanism that the rod goes into was broke as well. So I found the replacement part and began to installl.
My main problem is that the rod that actuates the starter switch does engage the switch and will turn the engine on, however, to me, it looks like the only way the rod has enough pressure or length on the mechanism in the switch to turn the engine on is if the rod is hooked into the first ignition groove position. In this position I have found it nearly impossible to actually keep the rod in the groove while attempting to the put the metal bracket back the the steering column where there are two slots that the bolts go the through. Just not enough slack in the rod or something.
I have tried installing the rod into the switch in other position of the ignition switch but it would not reach far enough to actually start the engine. Any of you had this problem before?

Last edited by Anthonybauwens1; 10-17-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:42 PM

Take a close look at the switch assy mounted on the column. Some of them had slots to adjust for the type problem you are seeing. Also , make sure the rack at the top of the rod is indexed properly to provide sufficient movement.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:18 PM

Thanks for your reply! Most of the issue had to deal with the way the steering column casing that the rod is connected to did not want to align properly the other half of the casing. Once I had adjusted the column to its original position by bolting the support plate back on, it worked. However.... the casing that the rod is conected to will not stay in position, Basically I can't seem to figure out how to keep the two casing in the proper position even once the the testing wheel is placed back on.