Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Buying new truck, need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Default Buying new truck, need some opinions

So fellas (and possibly ladies), I've been looking into buying a new truck but I haven't made my mind up between a f250 or Chevy 2500. I need a truck but don't really need a super duty, I can afford it and I just want it. Honestly any half ton is capable for anything ill be doing so I won't get too into what ill be doing. Also I haven't decided between diesel or gas. Due to the fact that I'm more just buying this truck because I just want it so I really can't justify spending the extra cash for the diesel, well not yet at least. Im not worried about resale because I'll be keeping this truck until one of us dies, hopefully the truck first. I do also do a bit of off roading, it's nothing crazy, but I will be lifting it just a few inches just to fit bigger tires, about 35's or so. Any input will really help me out thanks.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Truck,,, well, certainly nothing wrong with any of the Big Three. Being the option to haul heavy, carry, pull is always on the plate I'd always stay in the 3/4 ton classes. Things change, and always having extra muscle never hurts. That said, I like power capability of diesel, but unless you plan or need the extra grunt, cost and maintenance come into play. Sure, resale added value is there, but you just gotta weigh the bennies, against the cost affects. Fuel mileage,, may get a better number in the lower class and displacements or ECO, but just depends on weight, including carrying, type of use, higher alt. etc as to which will be a better contender. Knowing how and what you plan for, might be of help.

My 0.2, I think the SD chassis is hands down better but then the other 2 guys.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Truck,,, well, certainly nothing wrong with any of the Big Three. Being the option to haul heavy, carry, pull is always on the plate I'd always stay in the 3/4 ton classes. Things change, and always having extra muscle never hurts. That said, I like power capability of diesel, but unless you plan or need the extra grunt, cost and maintenance come into play. Sure, resale added value is there, but you just gotta weigh the bennies, against the cost affects. Fuel mileage,, may get a better number in the lower class and displacements or ECO, but just depends on weight, including carrying, type of use, higher alt. etc as to which will be a better contender. Knowing how and what you plan for, might be of help.

My 0.2, I think the SD chassis is hands down better but then the other 2 guys.

I was thinking the same about the diesel. I really want it but I just can't justify the extra upfront and upkeep cost over the gas. Ill being using the truck for my business. Ill be towing a box trailer which is usually about 9k loaded with all my gear. It's only happened two or three times in the last 4 years where the trailer was over 10k. Had a Chevy 1500 with the 6.2L and 4.10 axle did absolutely fine. Each job takes me about a month to finish and out of the month i can go maybe about 20 days without towing the trailer because ill leave it locked up at the site or sometimes just not bring it if I don't need too, so I'll just be using the bed. Which I why I'm getting the 8ft. I have a open trailer holds 4 ATVs while ill have two dirts bike in the bed, do that maybe once every 2-3 weeks. And a boat that's about 10k dry but only tow that when it's getting cold or for service. As for the off roading it's nothing impressiveimpressive at the moment but a Toyota Taco can handle what I do but I'm planning to do more. Resale is not a concern I plan to run the truck till the wheels fall off

Last edited by Yenny; 04-10-2016 at 05:06 PM.