Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

dually vs. single

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Default dually vs. single

hey guys,
i am new here, but any help would be great. i recently inherited my grandfathers 99 F350 dually. i am extremely happy with the truck but because of my grandfathers poor health, the truck needs some tlc. most recent is the rear end. the calipers would stick intermittently, and becasue i let it go, wore the back sides of the rotors clean off. i have to change the rotors, and it aint cheap. now, dont get me wrong on this question...
could i change the rear to a single per side and still use the same center chunk??
i have access to a salvage yard, so a donor axle could be sourced relatively easyfor the new ends. i know the easiest solution is to change the whole rear axle, but, the cost, if possible,to change the ends from duals to singles would be far less. i know i would lose the fender flares, but what else would i lose??
thanks guys

Old 02-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Default RE: dually vs. single

Not sure if I understand your problem, but from what I read, it seems that your rear brakes are shot. I am not sure where the swapping axels and converting to a single rear wheel came from. I would tend to believe that it would be much cheaper and much less time consuming to simply replace the rear brakes on the axel the truck already has. I personally would rebuild the rotors, get new rotors/pads and call it done. You could purchase new rotors and save the time of rebuilding them, but I just could not justify the un-needed cost.