Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

F250 5.4 triton misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:11 AM
Default F250 5.4 triton misfire.

I have a f250 with the 5.4 triton 2 valve engine. I just did new coils in it 4 weeks ago been running fine but recently its been running rough when cold but once it gets to operating temperature it seems to run better. New fuel pump, 8 new motorcraft plugs, 8 new motorcraft coils. Was wondering if possible injector problem? I grabbed my scanner got a cylinder one misfire. My assumption was possible faulty coil but when I tested the spark I got a nice bright blue spark. I pulled the spark plug out and it was soaked in gasoline. I was thinking at this point maybe a bad injector or stuck injector? Someone told me low compression but I would still assume it would ignite the fuel in the combustion chamber even with low compression. Is there any simples steps I could do to test this theory?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Is the place where the spark plug seats into the head clean? I mean really clean? That seat is the ground for the spark circuit. Also check if the top of the plug has a nub on it that screws in place or if it is fixed. If screw on be sure it is tightened with a pliers. A loose nub (forget the correct name) will give you a bad electrical connection and poor spark.
Regards,
Eric

Old 01-09-2018, 12:36 PM

I will check that as well if that doesn't work I was told to take the injector rail off and take a cup and turn the key on if the injector sprays while the key is on then the injector could possibly be stuck. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Default Misfire.

Thanks y'all I finally figured it out. I have a camera from snap on that bends and twists. Did it very carefully too. While the engine was running I stuck it down the oil fill neck and watched. Cylinder one valves were not opening at all. I am a dummy for not noticing that on the compression test. I had a blonde moment I guess lol. But the hydraulic lifters failed. Thank god it didnt wipe the cam lobe out. But I put new lifters in and rockers made sure to bleed the new lifters too before I put them in. She pures like a kitten now. No more check engine lights. It runs really good for an old ford. Havent had any problems since. Its been fix for about 3 or so months now. I just forgot to post an update. The lifters and rollers weren't hard to install either. I rented the tool from my local dealership which allowed me to slip everything on without loosening the cam shaft. Kinda scary but it worked lol.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the update !