Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

F250 5.8L intermittent problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Default F250 5.8L intermittent problems

I have a 95' F250 ext. cab 4x4`5.8L with newer crate motor and rebuilt tranny. The motor runs strong most of the time. It starts good after it sits for several hoursbut after that it starts hard. If I mash the foot feed on start it starts better but obviously I shouldn't have to do that. Also it will hesitate intermittently allowing only very slow if any acceleration, then it will come back to life and power back up. Least often it will act like the tranny is slipping for a moment or twothen catch, sometimes abruptly, and be fine again. When I first bought the truck a local mechanic advised to use a little atf fluid and injector cleaner in the fuel alternating at fill up. That didn't seem to help or hurt anything. Have since stopped doing that. Another mechanic ran a code scan on it for me and determined that the egr sensor was throwing a code soI replaced that but not the valve. Did clean the valve and engine ports a little with carb cleaner before re-installing.Not sure if a replacement valve would help anything. Check engine light stayed off for a few days after sensor replacement then started to come back on intermittently. I'm considering buying a code scanner of my own. Also may change plug wires. Not sure where else to look for problems. PCM, TPS etc...? This is a cool truck and I would really like to get it running right, maybe even look at a performance chip for it if that is something I can do safely. These intermittent problems drive me nuts. I love a good challenge but I need a little help here. Thanks, CS

newly replaced-
distributor rotor cap
plugs - old ones gapped at around .080
fuel filter
EGR position sensor - not valve

95' F250
92' Ford Explorer
02' Yamaha Kodiak
92' Lincoln Town Car