Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

F250 '72 Shifter Column

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Default F250 '72 Shifter Column

Greetings to all.
1972 F250 pickup truck 78,000 miles automatic transmission 390 engine with heavy camper.
Now when I attempt to shift gears the shift lever moves freely at the top. Visual inspection shows that the piece coming out the side of the steering column at the bottom no longer moves. I have the shop manual (Chassis) which only gives instructions on how to R&R the shifter column.
One clue - as this problem started to develop, I noticed that the shift lever had to be pushed up abnormally high to shift into "Park". Now moving the lever has no effect.

Before breaking into this I would like to have more detailed information.
1. What is the most likely cause for this?
2. Is there a pin or something that has fallen out and could be replaced?
3. Will I likely need a new part?

4. Has one of you actually performed this removal/replacement?
5. How easy or difficult was it? How long did it take you?
6. Can it be done with ordinary tools?
7. The manual makes no mention of taking the bottom part off or out of the column. What do I need to know about that?
8. Might there be something I could do to correct this that does not involve removing the steering wheel, and shifter column?
9. Lastly, what's the easiest way to remove the steering wheel?
Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Jerry

Old 08-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Kik

Been a lot of years since I tore into one of them. They used to be all cast aluminum alloy or POT steel, once they were broke you had to replace the whole assembly. Most people just changed out the whole steering column because it was easier. Here's an exploded view that may help you.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:39 PM

Thanks, KIK, for that parts diagram. I examined it extensively then took it all apart and found that I need to replace the shift collar - it is made of what looks like pot metal and is cracked. From your memory, was there a way to replace the shift collar without cutting the wires for the turn signals and the horn? The wires go right through the middle of this collar.

Jerry

Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 AM

If I remember correctly, there was a curved plastic plug that was connected to the wires exiting the column. What I did was to make a diagram of the position of each color wire in the plug then use a small pointed pick to release the wires from the plug and pull the entire signal sw assy up and out of the column. When you were ready to reinstall the wires back into the column,just tape them together to send them down to the exit hole in the column. Once there, remove the tape from the wires and reinsert each wire back into its location as per your diagram and just push them into place. You can feel the terminals lock into place . Plug the harness back and you were done.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:58 PM

Thanks, “HANKY” for explaining a way to remove the bundle of six wires that travel from the plastic connector under the dash through the steering column and fasten to the horn and turn switch. Interestingly (to me) is that in 30 years of tinkering with my cars (with no training), I never knew that wires could be removed from connectors and harnesses and put back in.

I have a couple of questions as I prepare for this step in my project.
1. Inside the area where the turn signal switch attaches and the hole where the steering shaft comes through, I see a small amount of dirty, thick dried grease. That would be 42 year old grease. I guess this is to lubricate the turn signal moving parts and the area where the steering shaft turns. If I carefully remove some of this grease and clean the area, does it matter what kind of grease I put in that area? Would lithium grease be OK? What are the pros and cons of using brake cleaner to clean the area?
2. I am not sure how many people will see this reply. If I do not get a response to this inquiry, do the rules of the forum allow me to start a new thread to ask this question? I assume a new thread is seen by many more readers.
3. In the previous “reply” to this thread (submitted by “Hanky”), the word “color” was in blue letters. When I put my pointer over the word, an ad for Showtime appeared. Is this just another way that ads appear on the computer, or am I missing something? To demonstrate, I copied and pasted the paragraph below. Not sure if the word will appear in blue when you see it. Here it is:
“If I remember correctly, there was a curved plastic plug that was connected to the wires exiting the column. What I did was to make a diagram of the position of each color wire in the plug then use a small pointed pick to release the wires from the plug and pull the entire signal sw assy up and out of the column. When you were ready to reinstall the wires back into the column,just tape them together to send them down to the exit hole in the column. Once there, remove the tape from the wires and reinsert each wire back into its location as per your diagram and just push them into place. You can feel the terminals lock into place . Plug the harness back and you were done.”

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.
Jerry

Old 09-08-2014, 03:39 AM

You can clean the area, that should pose no problem. You can also use regular chassis grease to lube the bearing. It does not require a lot of grease because the steering shaft only moves as fast as you turn the steering wheel.
A far as the color type in the post, Sometimes sites use certain words for sales messages. Have a great day !