Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 05:27 AM
Default Fuel lines

I have a 2002 F250 Crew cab 5.4L 156 wheel base. Last week I was on vacation and my brake line that feeds the rear brakes blew. I got the truck from a relative who lives in the mid west and they put salt on the roads so the line rusted through. Anyway the line running from the coupling by the fuel filter to the hose that splits the lines on the rear axle is made out of unobtainium according to the ford dealer. I had to have a hydraulic shop make a 12 foot hydraulic hose with the 7/16-24 flare fittings on it so I could make it home. What a pain in the ***. Anyway while I was under the truck pulling the old brake line out I noticed my fuel lines that run the same path down the frame are rusted too. I can't find anywhere on the net about gas fuel lines. All kinds of things for diesel the only thing for gas is the two flexible quick disconnect lines that connect the fuel tank to the hard piped lines. Why the hell couldn't Ford make these out of stainless? Especially the brake lines. Luckily I wasn't rolling down the highway at 70mph and needed to stop. This could have killed me, my family and possibly another family. Where the leak developed was on the part of the line hidden by the fuel tank and you can't see that to inspect so don't hit me with improper maintenance practices responses unless you drop your fuel tank once a month to inspect that area.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:20 AM

Been there !

I am pretty sure NAPA sells the kind of line you need for the fuel line.and brake lines.
Not a good idea to buy on line.
They are most likely METRIC. In addition ,NAPA sells line that you can bend to fit and you can get the epoxy coated stuff already on the line when manufactured.
Some of our manufacturers have gone to stainless exhausts and that puts quite a dent in muffler shops.
Also , some state inspection places will not pass your vehicle if brake lines are too rusted.
You will notice that there is much heavier rust where the clamps secure the lines
.I agree it is time for the manufacturer to correct this problem. We probably paid for it , but just didn't get it.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:07 AM

Thanks Hanky. My particular F250 has 7/16-24 flare fittings for the brakes or at least that particular run from the fuel filter area to the rear axle hose. Ford always seems to throw a better idea right in the middle of a model production. For instance the drag link on my front steering has like three different styles that were used. That was fun getting that replaced. As far as the fuel lines the fittings are mostly the Quick Disconnect style and if they are threaded it will probably be a 6AN or 8AN style. Sort of the JIC style popular in hydraulics only not as heavy duty and usually aluminum. My research has turned up I'm either going to have to buy standard SS line and bend it myself, like you said, and buy adapters to use the QD style flexible Ford fuel hoses to connect the hard line to the tank and to the filter or buy the SS braided PTFE fuel hose and the compression fittings. Nobody not even Ford sells the pre-bent fuel line for gas but they do for the diesel which makes no sense. More of these trucks on the road that have the gasoline configuration than diesel. I am also almost 100% sure they used the same line set for the F150. I am more than likely going to have a hydraulic shop make some custom fuel lines or hoses for me. But I'm not really going to know for sure what I have until I drop the fuel tank to install the new brake line. I can't see the condition of the lines behind the tank but if my brake line rusted that bad I assume my fuel lines are in the same condition. I don't want to make my own fuel lines simply because those do it yourself compression fittings fail and leak. I use those at work to make temporary repairs on air lines all the time. The professional crimp on hose connections hydraulic shops use never fail. You'll blow the hose before those fittings fail.