Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Help!!!! F250 running rough!!!

Old 06-19-2018, 07:42 PM
Default Help!!!! F250 running rough!!!

I have a 2005 F250 5.4 3v 139,000 miles. I’m throwing codes P0012,( intake (A) camshaft position timing over retarded bank 1) P0022. ( intake (A) camshaft position timing over retarded bank 2)
I’ve replaced all 8 plugs with new motorcraft plugs, all new coil packs, replaced fuel filter, installed both VVT’s and both camshaft sensors. I’ve cleaned the MAF and the throttle body. The truck is running rough with no misfire codes. Has smoke coming from the exhaust with a lot of condensation. As far as I know the engine coolant remain full as I can see it from the coolant tank. The truck sat for about a year or so.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

What did the plugs look like when removed? Meaning, any collections there or indication of burning coolant or oil?
If coolant, any bubbling in the degas bottle? The tail pipe emissions smell sweet, don’t dissipate quickly?
On the codes, VCT solenoid stuck open possibly,, but probably not L&R fails simultaneously.
VCT’s binding.. what’s the engine oil look like?

Old 06-20-2018, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

What did the plugs look like when removed? Meaning, any collections there or indication of burning coolant or oil?
If coolant, any bubbling in the degas bottle? The tail pipe emissions smell sweet, don’t dissipate quickly?
On the codes, VCT solenoid stuck open possibly,, but probably not L&R fails simultaneously.
VCT’s binding.. what’s the engine oil look like?

The plugs looked bad. Black looking. Looked like they have been in there a while. I know the previous owner said, they’ve replaced the plugs twice and they kept fouling out. The smoke out of the exhaust kind of smells like old gas/fixed with oil. I’ve drained the oil pan and did a fresh oil change and filter. The old oil look really black and thin. I’ve checked the coolant tank for bubbling. No bubbles. The coolant level stays where it’s supposed to be.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by aramsey08

The plugs looked bad. Black looking. Looked like they have been in there a while. I know the previous owner said, they’ve replaced the plugs twice and they kept fouling out. The smoke out of the exhaust kind of smells like old gas/fixed with oil. I’ve drained the oil pan and did a fresh oil change and filter. The old oil look really black and thin. I’ve checked the coolant tank for bubbling. No bubbles. The coolant level stays where it’s supposed to be.
This is the new plugs after about 20 minutes of running.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:59 AM

Wow, he has everything there !
What are your thoughts,
fluctuating oil pressure
intake manifold problem

noticed what appears to be a lot of never-seize there, maybe too much?
Hope you don't mind my asking some questions, thanks.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:14 AM

To me it looks like the plug fouling gets worse from cylinder #4 towards #1. Cylinder #5-8, pretty good with 5 & 6 looking the best and having the least amount of anti-seize on them. I would start by cleaning off as much anti-seize as possible.

Are you using aluminum or nickle based anti-seize? I prefer nickle based in high temp applications due to its higher heat range capability. I've had too many plugs that had aluminum based anti-seize on them that just would not budge. If you don't want to use nickle, use copper based anti-seize on your plugs, but a very, very thin coating of anti-seize.

Also, if the truck sat for a year, was the fuel replaced?

Old 06-21-2018, 05:21 AM

Hard to ignore the codes for cam problems, just find it difficult to explain why some are rich, some appear coolant contaminated, and some are fine. Could be wrong, but probably have more than one problem here.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Wow, he has everything there !
What are your thoughts,
fluctuating oil pressure
intake manifold problem

noticed what appears to be a lot of never-seize there, maybe too much?
Hope you don't mind my asking some questions, thanks.
Oil pressure is reading normal. Halfway mark. Intake is fine. Lol....Yes I used too much anti-seize because I didn’t want to take a chance on breaking a plug after removal. I did a compression test on all the cylinders.
Cylinder 1) No reading on the gauge, but I put a rubber heater hose into the plug well to see if air comes out. Which it does but maybe not enough to register on the gauge.
Cylinder 2) 181
Cylinder 3) 183
Cylinder 4) 183
Cylinder 5) 181
Cylinder 6) 181
Cylinder 7) 181
Cylinder 8) 182

Old 06-21-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
To me it looks like the plug fouling gets worse from cylinder #4 towards #1. Cylinder #5-8, pretty good with 5 & 6 looking the best and having the least amount of anti-seize on them. I would start by cleaning off as much anti-seize as possible.

Are you using aluminum or nickle based anti-seize? I prefer nickle based in high temp applications due to its higher heat range capability. I've had too many plugs that had aluminum based anti-seize on them that just would not budge. If you don't want to use nickle, use copper based anti-seize on your plugs, but a very, very thin coating of anti-seize.

Also, if the truck sat for a year, was the fuel replaced?
I’m using nickle based anti-seize. The truck had less than a 1/4 of a tank. I bought Seafoam and put half of the Seafoam with $25 in gas. I did a compression test on it today here are the “DRY” readings.
Cylinder 1) No reading on the gauge, but I put a rubber heater hose into the plug well to see if air comes out. Which it does but maybe not enough to register on the gauge.
Cylinder 2) 181
Cylinder 3) 183
Cylinder 4) 183
Cylinder 5) 181
Cylinder 6) 181
Cylinder 7) 181
Cylinder 8) 182

Old 06-21-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by aramsey08

I’m using nickle based anti-seize. The truck had less than a 1/4 of a tank. I bought Seafoam and put half of the Seafoam with $25 in gas. I did a compression test on it today here are the “DRY” readings.
Cylinder 2) 181
Cylinder 3) 183
Cylinder 4) 183
Cylinder 5) 181
Cylinder 6) 181
Cylinder 7) 181
Cylinder 8) 182
Forgot to mention. I’ve removed all the anti-seize from the plug threads and just put anti-seize on the part that normally breaks off from the plugs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!!! F250 running rough!!!