Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

need A Horn wiring dia. for 1986 ford F350 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 01:25 PM
Default need A Horn wiring dia. for 1986 ford F350 diesel

HELP!!!! Well I'm back working on this nightmare, horn not connected under the hood, I think I found the horn relay under the dash by the cruise module if this is the correct relay then all I need is the color of the wire going outside and the color coming from the horn switch.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:36 PM

Most vehicles use a horn relay. The relay is supplied with battery power to one of the relay terminals.
When the relay is energized the contacts of the relay close and the horn now has power and ground is provided by the mounting.

Power is also supplied to another terminal of the relay coil. The other terminal of the relay coli is connected to the horn button at the steering wheel so that when the horn button is depressed, it provides the ground for the relay coil to operate and close the contacts and power is now sent to the horn(s).

One test you can do is listen for the relay to click when the horn button is depressed. If you hear the relay work the problem is from the relay to the horn.
If you don't hear the relay work, power to the relay coil needs to be verified and if that checks out, make sure the contact at the steering wheel can provide a good ground for the relay coil to energize.
Many times all that checks out and the problem is with the horn itself. To verify that, just run a temporary jumper from the battery positive terminal directly to the horn where the wire plugs onto the horn. If the horn is good ,it will sound and if no sound is herd , the horn has a problem and may need to be replaced.
The better way to do this is to connect the jumper wire to the horn , then just touch the positive terminal of the battery briefly with the other end of the jumper wire and if the horn is good it will sound.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:28 PM

I know how the relay works
I don't have or can't find the wire /s under the hood
I need the colors to look for Hence the Need of a diagram