Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Randomly shutting off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 AM
Default Randomly shutting off!

96 Ford F-250 7.3 diesel shut off randomly while driving. Sometimes it will start the engine before it slows down. Right before it starts the “wait to start” light will illuminate. If it doesn’t start back up and you have to cycle the key the “wait to start” light will not cycle. After a few minutes the light will illuminate when the key is cycled and it will start. Already replace the cps this last weekend!

Old 12-05-2018, 01:44 PM

Because the little things sometime escape our attention I have to ask; do you have a heavy key ring hanging on the key that is in the ignition when driving?
It is a little thing , but has been known to cause a vehicle to shut down when driving because it moves the key tumbler section of the switch and causes the engine to shut down. It does sound as if the key is getting turned off, maybe and maybe not.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Because the little things sometime escape our attention I have to ask; do you have a heavy key ring hanging on the key that is in the ignition when driving?
It is a little thing , but has been known to cause a vehicle to shut down when driving because it moves the key tumbler section of the switch and causes the engine to shut down. It does sound as if the key is getting turned off, maybe and maybe not.
I don’t have a heavy key chain it’s just the key and an auto zone rewards card on it.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
So I’ve checked the connections and found out that the ignition switch connector isn’t making good connection. I got a new switch and installed it but didn’t help it much so started just wiggling the wires and it’s seems to be in the connector. Today I was driving it and it hiccuped but kept running then 200 ft later it had no power when you pushed the throttle and shortly after that the throttle stuck and I had to put it in neutral turn it off and played with the connector it eventually started back up and I took it straight home it dying on me 2 times within the probably mile I had to go home any other suggestions or a pin out for the ignition switch connector?