Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Engine Failsafe Mode message

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Default Engine Failsafe Mode message

I have a 2005 Ford 500 Limited with V-6, AWD and CVT. A couple weeks ago I was in Southern Indiana during a pretty good snowfall. I was entering onto 65-N. While coming around the bend, The car slid just a tiny bit. Once stable, I noticed the maintenance light was on and the information display read "Engine Failsafe Mode". The car then drove like it was in 2nd gear even though it is a CVT. Almost like thecomputer cut off half the engine. It drove fine...no problems at all. I got to a fuel stop and went through the diagnostics mode in the information display. Everything checked out good. I then shut the car off, went into the fuel stop, grabbed a couple necessities and went back to my car. When I started it back up, the problem was gone. I was able to duplicate the problem in "1st gear". As I slid, the message came back. I then pulled off the road, turned the car off and restarted it. This time I put the vehicle in drive tried to make the problem happen again. I did slide a bit, but the message did not return. Might I add the first and second times were right turns and the third time was a left turn. Quite odd I thought, but I have not seen the problem reappear. Any idea on what could have done this? Other than that isolated incident, I have not had any issues with my vehicle.