Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Ford Five Hundred Doors freeze open

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Default Ford Five Hundred Doors freeze open

Hello,
I have a used 2005 Five Hundred and every morning the temp is below freezing the doors will not latch when closed. I have to hold them closed for 1/2 mile or so before they begin to latch.
I have done some checking and found that there was a recall for this and that it was repaired before I got it. Well obviously it is not corrected. Ford won't do anything obviously, and in this economy I can't afford to drop a bundle on it right now. I have sprayed the hell out of the latches but not seeming to help.
I am not having any luck figuring out how to get the inner panel off to access the linkage since it would seem the screws etc are well hidden.
Has anyone else dealt with this? Any idea on how to fix this or get the door panel off?
Thanks for your help!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:43 PM

I have had some success with spraying a good non evaporating penetrating oil down through the window opening onto the door lock assy. Don't be afraid to flood it , the worst it will do is run out the bottom.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Default Update!

I took it in to the dealer to make sure that the recall for this problem had indeed been done correctly. They stated it was done after checking, and that they had lubed up the latches well and charged me $238. Was told next step is replacing both front latches....about $500.
Well, for this winter drivers door froze only twice and passenger side 2 or 3. Has been a colder nastier winter and parked outside everyday. So it is waaaaaay better! There is hope!

Old 03-17-2013, 04:05 AM

Until you decide to do otherwise , spray a good grade of penetrating oil in there on a regular basis to keep the pieces free and the possible moisture off the moving parts. Nice to know the door will work when you close it !

Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Default Amen Hanky

You have no idea how bad it pissed me off to shut the door only to have it bounce open again and again!! I can't into the locks without dismantling the entire door and I can't do that. Just have to hope their mechanic did it right I guess.
Have a good one Hanky!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Since winter just won't go away and you need to have that darn latch working , this is what I have found worked for me. I don't use WD40 because it dries up.
A good penetrating oil like PB Blaster used with the soda straw.
Direct the straw down at the latch assy on the outside of the window glass with the window down and spray everything in there. some will get on the glass that you can clean off and some will get into the latch assy. As I stated earlier the worst that it can do is run out the bottom of the door and probably help keep it from rusting.
But it sure is nice that when you slam the door it stays closed.