Go Back  Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Ford Cars > Ford Five Hundred
Reload this Page >

Ford Five Hundred SEL - Interior Lights come on while driving

Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Ford Five Hundred SEL - Interior Lights come on while driving

Old 02-21-2019, 06:21 AM
Default Ford Five Hundred SEL - Interior Lights come on while driving

I have a 2007 Ford Five Hundred SEL. The mileage is just shy of 100K.

About a month ago, while driving the interior lights (front light above console and rear dome light) came on while driving. I heard a click before they came on, and they turned off automatically within about a minute or so. I didn't think much of it.

It's the same clicking sound I hear when it starts to get dark and the "eye" on the dash senses darkness and turns the lights on behind the dash.

Yesterday, the lights went on again. I pulled over, turned off the car, and started the car again. The lights were off, but went on a few minutes later (which only lasted for a minute or so). Basically in my 15-20 minute drive, the lights were on for about a minute while driving. I reached out to a friend of mine who is a Ford Mechanic. He mentioned I should check the battery terminals as corrosion on a battery will often cause strange things with the electrical system. He had never heard of this issue though.

Has anyone encountered this issue? If so, what is the "fix"? I thought it might be fuse related, but if the fuse is bad, I would expect the lights to not go on at all.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2019, 03:55 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by zowiehowie17 View Post
Ford Mechanic ... had never heard of this issue.
Has anyone encountered this issue?
Nope. I can't reliably back-yard mechanic diagnose electrical issues, especially if they're sensor related.

That said, 15 yrs ago I had a Dodge Grand Caravan that if I drove straight from my house to the freeway, after an hour at 70 mph the horn would come on solid. Scared me and the close-by drivers considerably. Dealer, under warranty, couldn't ID the problem and threw a couple parts at it to no avail.

Solution: vacationed in Escalantee, Utah for a week and drove a very washboarded 50 miles long dead end gravel road round trip 3 times, vibrating all the way at 45 mph. So 300 miles at speed over washboards. After that week the automatic horn never surfaced again. The road vibration resulted in a solution.

You could always use your electrical issue as an excuse to vacation in that same Utah town ...

Old 02-24-2019, 11:12 AM

Always appreciate a good sense of humor !
It makes one wonder if the problem was a poor connection or a malfunctioning module in the system.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:23 PM

I have the same problem the ignition switch is worn out and has a gap if you seal the gap with something like silicone it should fix your problem. Or take some weight off the keys as a temporary fix.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan Roberts View Post

I have the same problem the ignition switch is worn out and has a gap if you seal the gap with something like silicone it should fix your problem. Or take some weight off the keys as a temporary fix.
Thanks Brian. I think you hit the nail on the head.

It was fine for about a month, and then the lights went on the other day while driving. I touched the key, and the lights went off. There must be something loose in the switch/cylinder. Have you sealed the gap with silicone, and is it still working as a decent fix for you? I spoke to someone at the dealer (just to get a ballpark as to pricing at a dealership), and they're ballparking $450+ to replace the "sensor" within the ignition. Seems outrageous.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by zowiehowie17 View Post
Thanks Brian. I think you hit the nail on the head.

It was fine for about a month, and then the lights went on the other day while driving. I touched the key, and the lights went off. There must be something loose in the switch/cylinder. Have you sealed the gap with silicone, and is it still working as a decent fix for you? I spoke to someone at the dealer (just to get a ballpark as to pricing at a dealership), and they're ballparking $450+ to replace the "sensor" within the ignition. Seems outrageous.
The silicon has lasted for a couple months but sometimes itís still a problem but if I took the time to do a better job Iím sure itíll solve the problem permanently.