Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Jerk forward when shifting to drive or reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 08:51 PM
hev
Default Jerk forward when shifting to drive or reverse.

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread, but here goes.
2007 front wheel drive.
Another issue I have with this car is when when I shift into gear and start to take my foot off the brake, it strongly surges forward and I have to basically slam on the brakes, quite scary, does it in reverse to.
It drives bad to, like if your easy on the gas, trying to build up speed, it does a herky jerky.

It took forever to find the dipstick for the tranny, you can't check it while it's running, and the car needs to be really hot, can't even find where the fluid goes.

Any suggestions, or is this car just doomed without spending a fortune.

Last edited by hev; 09-07-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:12 PM

This may or may not be a trans problem.
Not easy for regular do it your selfer to service this trans.
It may cost a little, but best if dealership service dept handled reg svce.

Old 08-27-2021, 04:58 PM
hev

Originally Posted by hanky
This may or may not be a trans problem.
Not easy for regular do it your selfer to service this trans.
It may cost a little, but best if dealership service dept handled reg svce.
Ok, what I'm about to say is the truth. We went to Ford almost a year ago because we could not find the dipstick for the tranny, researching online showed us a totally different location, one mechanic found it, but they won't touch the car after the other issue. They, (Ford), stated that the transmission was a special one and that it didn't have a dipstick. We have two Ford dealers in the area, both are owned by the same person.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by hev
Ok, what I'm about to say is the truth. ... They, (Ford), stated that the transmission was a special one and that it didn't have a dipstick...
Read this recent thread:
https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford...n-fluid-43656/

Old 08-28-2021, 12:20 PM
hev

Originally Posted by uhoh
We know where it is now, one mechanic, out of three, found it back then. I assume it is the FWD transmission because ours is in the front right behind the radiator, way down, you can't check the fluid while the car is hot, so no way to know the level. Still have no idea where to put in the fluid, the dipstick hole is smaller than a pencil.

I just watched a video on how to fill the fluid on my car, everything was accurate execpt where to put the fluid, they actually used a totally different car for that segment.

Last edited by hev; 08-28-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:12 PM
Default Trans. Dipstick

Originally Posted by hev
I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread, but here goes.
2007 front wheel drive.
Another issue I have with this car is when when I shift into gear and start to take my foot off the brake, it strongly surges forward and I have to basically slam on the brakes, quite scary, does it in reverse to.
It drives bad to, like if your easy on the gas, trying to build up speed, it does a herky jerky.

It took forever to find the dipstick for the tranny, you can't check it while it's driving, and the car needs to be really hot, can't even find where the fluid goes.

Any suggestions, or is this car just doomed without spending a fortune.
Buy the Chilton repair manual [OReilly's or others]. READ the owners manual. Trans. fluid checked in P with the warmed up, engine ON.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:09 PM
hev

Originally Posted by Harold Reyes
Buy the Chilton repair manual [OReilly's or others]. READ the owners manual. Trans. fluid checked in P with the warmed up, engine ON.
I did read it, and the one I have says to turn the engine off after it's hot, and check it. Can't get your hand down in there without burning yourself.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:24 PM

Most of the time if you are anywhere near a Ford Dealer, you might stop by and ask if they could show you where the level is checked on your vehicle, most will take a minute to show you.
It would not be wise to ask for anymore freebies.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:30 PM
hev

I am confused by your comment.

1. I know WHERE to check it, I have said that a few times. The problem is getting to it while the car is hot, because NO mechanic will put their hand in there while it's hot. But I solved that, I will buy a heat resistant glove.

2. Both Fords in my area had no idea where it was, I had to show them.

3. What do you mean "asking for freebies?"

Originally Posted by hanky
Most of the time if you are anywhere near a Ford Dealer, you might stop by and ask if they could show you where the level is checked on your vehicle, most will take a minute to show you.
It would not be wise to ask for anymore freebies.