Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

no power

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 06:37 PM
Default no power

Hello, just joined this forum. Hoping to get help. I have a 2007 ford five hundred sel. The tranny is the asian 6 speed. My issue is it started out with the tranny at cold start would shudder for a minute then quit, then as i would move it would do it again and i could not pick up speed, for about 10 to 15 seconds then it would be fine. I have seen where people say don't change the tranny fluid and i have seen where people say do. I changed it put cvt fluid in it with some lucas transmission fix, a mistake, but the shudder went away and hasn't done it since.. It started slipping and could not get over 20 mph. At one point the car died and steam came from under the hood. Seen no sign of antifreeze leak. And it is not in the oil. Done more reading and seen where it takes a certain type of cvt fluid, went to Napa and the guy pointed me in the direction for correct fluid, with the price per quart ford likes their fluid,. drained and refilled with the special additive and the proper fluid. Why do they have to make it all so complicated? Anyway, with it not going over 20mph i can't really tell if the additive is working in the tranny, because it will not make it over 20mph.. I know from a few years ago that usually meant a clogged converter, i removed both converters and before cleaning i used a flashlight and they were approximately 75% clogged, after cleaning i seen no sign of clogs, used 1 can of brake clean on each one and made a world of difference in both, i must mention i used a water hose and cleaned , then let dry for a day before reinstalling. I must mention i am on my 3rd plenum as the first 2 developed holes directly above the tube that curves from the egr valve into the plenum. It also has a new egr valve a egr line. $130.00 just in those 2 pieces. The third one also developed a small hole but i caught it before it ruined this one. I was able to melt a substance to close the holes. Then i done a obd scan and cylinder 4 was the only one with the ? mark for misfire. Changed that coil and it still will not rev over 2,000 rpm. When it hits 2000 it wants to bog back down. I do know that i should be able to rev it up to at least 3 or 4000 rpm. if not higher. But only for 1 or 2 seconds. I am driving my wifes truck back and forth to work and i hate leaving her without a vehicle. Could it be bad spark plugs? I hope and pray someone can help me. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:21 AM

Sometimes trans shops can help where dealers just don't.

Might be a good idea to get a diagnosis from a quality trans shop. You won't get it for free, but it should allow you to decide what you want to do .

Old 05-23-2022, 05:50 AM

Does the shudder occur while cruising or just sitting? your description is vague.You got a serious issue with the engine to clog those converters. It will happen again until the problem is solved.The shudder feel could be the misfire and not the tranny.

Last edited by raski; 05-23-2022 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbytucky1
Hello, just joined this forum. Hoping to get help. I have a 2007 ford five hundred sel. The tranny is the asian 6 speed. My issue is it started out with the tranny at cold start would shudder for a minute then quit, then as i would move it would do it again and i could not pick up speed, for about 10 to 15 seconds then it would be fine. I have seen where people say don't change the tranny fluid and i have seen where people say do. I changed it put cvt fluid in it with some lucas transmission fix, a mistake, but the shudder went away and hasn't done it since.. It started slipping and could not get over 20 mph. At one point the car died and steam came from under the hood. Seen no sign of antifreeze leak. And it is not in the oil. Done more reading and seen where it takes a certain type of cvt fluid, went to Napa and the guy pointed me in the direction for correct fluid, with the price per quart ford likes their fluid,. drained and refilled with the special additive and the proper fluid. Why do they have to make it all so complicated? Anyway, with it not going over 20mph i can't really tell if the additive is working in the tranny, because it will not make it over 20mph.. I know from a few years ago that usually meant a clogged converter, i removed both converters and before cleaning i used a flashlight and they were approximately 75% clogged, after cleaning i seen no sign of clogs, used 1 can of brake clean on each one and made a world of difference in both, i must mention i used a water hose and cleaned , then let dry for a day before reinstalling. I must mention i am on my 3rd plenum as the first 2 developed holes directly above the tube that curves from the egr valve into the plenum. It also has a new egr valve a egr line. $130.00 just in those 2 pieces. The third one also developed a small hole but i caught it before it ruined this one. I was able to melt a substance to close the holes. Then i done a obd scan and cylinder 4 was the only one with the ? mark for misfire. Changed that coil and it still will not rev over 2,000 rpm. When it hits 2000 it wants to bog back down. I do know that i should be able to rev it up to at least 3 or 4000 rpm. if not higher. But only for 1 or 2 seconds. I am driving my wifes truck back and forth to work and i hate leaving her without a vehicle. Could it be bad spark plugs? I hope and pray someone can help me. Thank you in advance.
NO, the AISIN does NOT use the CVT tranny's FLUID!!!!!! Sheesh! Go to a dealer for proper information.