Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Repaced Instrument Cluster now no A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Default Repaced Instrument Cluster now no A/C

We took our 07 500 in to get a smog check last spring and the check engine light was on. We were told that we had to address this problem before we could smog the car. After the inspection, the mechanic told us that the fuel pumps were operating at low pressures and that was causing the light to come on. He replaced the pumps and the new pumps failed. after further inspection and a few calls to Ford, it was determined that the instrument cluster was at fault and it took out the fuel pumps. They ordered a new cluster from Ford and replaced it along with fuel pumps. Everything seemed to be in order and we were able to get the car smogged after spending $1,800. A month or so later the weather started to warm up and my wife tried to turn the A/C on and nothing happened. The compressor would not even click when turned on. Absolutely nothing happened. We took it back to the shop that did the repairs and were informed that another component needed to be replaced at a cost of $1,200, and that may or may not take care of the problem, so we decided to live with problem for awhile.
I drove the car for the first time in about a year and noticed that when I ran the system check to see if it was ready for service, it no longer had the oil life function. Did Ford send us the wrong Instrument Cluster and could this be the reason that the A/C is not working? Our local dealer went out of business a few years ago, and so did the dealer we bought the car from. We have issues with next closest dealer so this is why we went to an independent garage. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.
Thank You!
Doug

Old 10-01-2022, 06:18 AM

My mom has a 2005 Ford Five Hundred 40k miles And the back up lights were on when in park or driving. And the dash lights did not come on. They replaced the battery and alternator. And a week later the car won’t start now. It makes clicking sounds when you turn the key. It has been connected to the computer 3 times and shows no codes.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:52 PM

Don't know about A/C having to do with Cluster. Also, the Cluster does not take out the the fuel pump, just tells you 'low on fuel' if you forget to look at gas gauge, unless the FUEL GAUGE was INCORRECT and you drove it a lot while it was low in gas. Driving a vehicle while low on gas, is bad, pump depends on liquid gasoline to cool it. That driving habit destroys many fuel pumps. Make sure the A/C compressor is even plugged in, AND, I assume you checked A/C fuse. What was the 'other component' that allegedly costs $1200/incl. labor, to get compressor running? Leaky condensor? Bad cooling fan? Fan Assembly easy to change yourself. Recharging the system after condensor replacement, needs special equipment.