Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Tail Light Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Unhappy Tail Light Troubleshooting

Got pulled over last and was issued a citation for not having any tail lights. Had not noticed this before now. I made it to my driveway and I checked all my lights. The headlights, parking lights are illuminated. The turn signals and flashers work front and back. When I put the vehicle in reverse, the backup lights work. However, can not figure out why the running lights (tail lights) or the license plate light will not illuminate. The bulbs are fine and could not find a fuse on the fuse panel that corresponds to the tail lights. Anyone else experience this or know what I'm missing here. Thanks for the help!!

Last edited by RetiredNavyGSCS; 07-18-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Default bad tail light

Any luck with getting this issue resolved? I am not experiencing the same issue with my 2000 Expedition.

I can't seem to find any solution on the Internet.

Thanks.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Generally the tail lites are fed from the headlite switch so they operate with the lite switch in any on position. I would suggest you start from the rear of the vehicle and check the wiring that you can see for a cut/severed wire or possibly a poor connection where the wires have a plug connection. This can be time consuming or you could hit it quickly.This is most likely what someone else will need to do in order to find the break in the circuit. If you have to pay someone by the hour it can get expensive.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Default Found problem to lack of running lights

Wow! This seems so long ago and I actually had forgot about it until now. I should have posted after I found the answer to my problem to my tail light problem on my 2006 Ford 500.

To be on the safe side (or to do the simplest thing first through the process of elimination), I replaced both left and right bulbs. There was no change and the problem persisted.

I then read and studied the fuse section of the owner manuals for any clue to the possible fuse for the running lights. What I found was the fuse for the running lights is not clearly marked but is tied into Fuse Location F8, a 15 amp fuse listed as Park Lamps, Side Markers, Trailer Tow Protect. This is listed in the Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel on Page 196 (for 2006 Ford 500 manuals).

Even though the 15 amp fuse seemed fine, I still replaced it and the Tail Running Lamps were restored.

Hope this helps! Michael in Mobile AL on Wednesday 02 Feb 2011

Last edited by MobileAlabamaFan; 02-03-2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: add date