Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

2013 Focus water collecting in rear passenger floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:41 AM
Default 2013 Focus water collecting in rear passenger floorboard

Good afternoon, last night I found my floorboard wet under the front passenger seat. It seems to be coming from the area where the air vent is under the seat. I removed the cover and soaked the water with a towel. I thought it could be a possible water bottle spill, or maybe a window left cracked in the rain. Well, this morning is super sunshiny. I drove the car for a bit this morning and the water is puddling again there. The front floorboard is not wet, just the back. Any ideas is what it could be? I went to the dealership. He said they are backed up currently, but he has never had a focus come in with an ac leak. He suggested it may be a spill it rain leak. Since it is currently puddled again, and the sun is shining, I know there is something else going on. Please help.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:10 PM

Would help if we knew are you using the air conditioning. Does the vehicle have a sun roof?
Normally,,,,, If it is humid out and the air is working there should be a puddle of water under the vehicle after you park it and the air system has a chance to drain . Need more specific info to come up with a possible cause. If moisture is getting loose in the air cond ducts , there is the possibility it is getting blown through the ductwork to the rear and coming out of the duct exit. As you can see there can be many reasons for this happening and the more info you can provide may help to pin down the cause.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:18 PM

Thanks.. The air conditioning is used a lot. We are in the 90's temperature wise with 100 percent humidity. I don't have a sunroof. I believe I found a forum that describes what is happening with my issue.

http://focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290738

That seems to fit my problems, except mine isn't wetting the front floor board yet. Maybe I caught it before it collects that much water to over drain all the way too the front? I'm not sure. A friend and myself are going to get to it next week when he gets back in town. I can update y'all if you want.

If you don't feel this could be my problem, please share.

Thank you for your response!

Old 08-31-2016, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply.
There is a certain advantage to actually being there to see what the conditions are and trying to diagnose from a distance is not always effective. Sure, we would like to know what you find. Your cause and solution may help someone else that does not yet know they have that problem.