Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

33 miles to the gallon down to 18

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Default RE: 33 miles to the gallon down to 18

anyone have any luck with this at all? I have an 2004 zx5 2.3L model and the exact same thing has happened to me this past year. And it was happening over the summer too so i don't think weather is affecting it much. i don't know a whole lot about cars so if anyone made any progress with this please let me know. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:04 PM
LMR

Actually i agree that is not dumb. If the thermostat is stuck open the engine runs to cold making the fuel dump faster to keep the car running. That will be one reason for poor gas mileage.
ORIGINAL: wheelsup68

I know this is going to sound dumb, but try replacing the thermostat. That would be the most logical thing that would not trip a service engine light. For instance if your coolant is not reaching the correct operating temperature then it will cause the engines operating program to think engine is cold and will adjust fuel accordingly. Like I said it seems dumb, but it is fact. Remember years ago when people used to replace thermostat every year as maintenance? They have made most of them hard to replace nowadays and most people do not replace on regular basis any more.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:25 PM

I just wanted to see if any of you guys with this bad gas milage problem ever figured anything out with it????One suggestion I had for the guy that originally started this thread he said the gas milage actually went down 4 miles to the gallon after replaceing plugs and filter I was just wondering is there anyway you guys may have changed your own plugs and didnt double check the gap before installing them. I know alot of the plugs people buy today are pre gapped supposedly but Id never trust them right out the box,, not unless you want 4 at .040 and 2 at .065 I have personally had them this far off new fresh out the box and they were supposed to be pre gapped ready to install...just a suggestion i figured id throw out there. Also with the thermostat theory are you guys saying with newer cars it makes a difference rather the thermostat is stuck open or somthing? I just wanted to point out that I have had numerous old and new cars and trucks that i have just taking the thermostats out all together and it made no difference on gas milage,,The biggest thing i think ever happend with a thermostat out of the car all together was i forgot to reinstall before it got really cold one year and it took forever to get some heat going but other then that engine ran fine and gas milage never was effected. On my V-8 engines and truck engines im sure i would have noticed almost a 50% reduction in fuel economy when i took the thermostats out.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:19 AM

I have had the same problem on my 02 focus, with exactly 45k miles on it!!! I do notice that my throttle position sensor is failing, because when i put it in neutral(its auto) the and revv it, the rpms wont drop under 3000rpms, unless its put into gear(not a good idea) or if you let it take its time, which can be from 30 seconds to 2 minutes... its ANNOYING and the dealer says theres nothing wrong... IDK... but i get an average of 17-22 mpg depending on how heavy my foot is!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM

This has me confused but all I know is Id be pissed if I were focus owner!! I have seen guys conplaining on the explorer forums about only getting about 15 miles to the gallon, but those are 4.0L engines in 4 wheel drive suv,weighing probably twice the weight of your cars. well I hope someone figures this out,,, sounds like alot of you guys would benefit from it....