Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Default Sputtering

Help! my 02 Focus w/ 177k sputters while accelerating from a stop. Anyone can give me a pointer as to what is causing this

Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM

There is a possible laundry list that might have the cause for the problem.
Some addl info is necessary to even think about which one(s) is/are the possible cause.
What kind of maintenance has been done to the vehicle?
Things like last spark plug change, fuel filter, quality of fuel, how long the problem has been around, any check engine light, whether it happens when hot, cold, all the time, as you can see there is much that can assist in trying to come up with a definite diagnosis and even then it could be hit & miss because sometimes the tech needs to be there to notice any accompanying problems you may not notice.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 AM

Try to clean or change a sparks, it may be has not changed earlier, try to wash up the throttle block of your engine, check up your ignition, try to change the brand of fuel or higher octane number of gasoline, try to change the fuel/air filters, your problem may be occured by many facts, as the mr hanky sayed up on my. If you don't know about those what your car contains itself, go to the nearest Ford dealer, or the car service, and go to a diagnostics. Than, write, what it was.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Default Sputtering

Fuel is good, a new tank is used once a week. Have added fuel injector cleaner, and will be replacing the fuel filter today. I've noticed it runs good cold, but when it reaches operating temp, this is when the sputtering starts. Replace w/ new plugs today, I think this is it because the old ones had LOTS of oil all the way down the threads. This was from a leaky valve cover gasket which has been replaced. Engine seems to run a LOT smoother w/ the new Bosch Platinum Plus plugs. Will know for sure once I drive it and it reaches normal temps. Will keep you posted. Thanks for everyones help.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Check up the sensors. Don't you have a check engine lamp on? If it does, check the lambda-zonds, oil pressure sensor, sensor of antifreeze temperature, throttle sensor (if you have an electronic throttle pedal), also check up your ignition roll, may be need to replace it, also chek your spark conductors. But i think that it may be occured exactly by a antifreeze temperature sensor. Simply method to DIY diagnostics: when your car is cold - try to disconnect this sensor, and then, when the temperature of engine will be 85'C (celsium) at least, try to disconnect it again. If the engine will stopped, replace this sensor.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:32 PM

Thanks D-D.

The new plugs did the trick. Car runs fine now

Old 05-19-2013, 02:00 AM

Congratulations!!!