Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

ST 2018 Rvs High when shifting gears issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Angry ST 2018 Rvs High when shifting gears issue

I have an 2018 Focus ST Turbo 6speed manual only with 7k miles on it.

I've already scheduled an appointment for next week to have Ford look into it. Maybe it could be an another recall but, doubt it. Anyways, about a week ago, when I left work that morning (I work the grave yard shift) left the parking lot in 1st gear like always but, when I went to 2nd to 3rd gear the RPMs stayed high like into 4000 range (occassionally 5500) even when I completely had my foot off of the accelerator then stay within 4000 or 4100 for the next shift and shift afterwards.

I think it could be the Turbo acting up, or ECU or the RPM module or the air-intake filter is clogged. Already checked the air-intake, seems to be fine. Someone I work with is an mechanic and thinks there could be a leak in the vacuum lines. Which to me, it makes sense.

Adding to that factor, earlier today I've noticed when I was at a stop light and then turned green, I heard some kind of friction coming from the pressure plate/ flywheel as I slowly left off the clutch then accelerate (Twice). Crazy as it sounds, being a barely brand new car seems to already have too many issues. Can't imagine what's next lol. I've drove manuals for 5-7 years now and never had this problem before. I had an clutch go out on me one time in an 2006 Scion Tc 5speed. Yet, not like this.

Well, what do you think the problem is? Any help would be Appreciated, Thanks!

Old 11-13-2018, 02:01 PM

Updating: Actually, the problem *may* be solved. Took my car to the shop today and one of the mechanics said it's the clutch. It burned out.

Honestly, I don't see how it could be burned out already but, assuming the clutch had a defect in it already when manufactured installed it. Well, who knows! Anyways, to anyone having the same issue, hope that this helps. I'll update later