Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

1990 f150 starts and runs but stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Default 1990 f150 starts and runs but stalls out

I have a 1990 Ford F1 50. A month or so ago it started stalling out on me while I was driving down the road and then one day just stopped. I replaced the ECM and it cranked up and ran for a little while and then stalled out again and wouldn't crank. I took it to a shop and they replaced I think it was the ignition connector or something like that it has what looks to be a spark plug wire going to it I don't know what it's called right now. But it ran for a good while after that probably about a month then started doing the same exact thing stalling out while I was going down the road. So I changed the fuel filter and checked and made sure the fuel pump was pushing gas to the line I also change the spark plugs and spark plug wires I tried also to replace the fuel pump relay and the EEC relay and the last thing I did was replace the ignition control module on the distributor. And it runs but it stalls out you know whenever it feels like it there's no consistency to it. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it

Old 08-24-2017, 05:54 AM

There are two things I would try.
As you know a picture is worth XXXwords.
Hook up a fuel pressure gauge (can be rented) so you can see it while driving.
Then hook up a volt meter or test lite to the coil wire that comes from the ign switch.
Place them both so you can see them while driving ,away from other vehicles if possible, when it stalls see if you lost fuel pressure or if the test light dims or goes out.
If you see something different from normal when it stalls it should help narrow down an area to investigate further. If neither one shows no differences it should rule out a fuel supply or power to the coil problem. Let us know what ,if anything you find.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
There are two things I would try.
As you know a picture is worth XXXwords.
Hook up a fuel pressure gauge (can be rented) so you can see it while driving.
Then hook up a volt meter or test lite to the coil wire that comes from the ign switch.
Place them both so you can see them while driving ,away from other vehicles if possible, when it stalls see if you lost fuel pressure or if the test light dims or goes out.
If you see something different from normal when it stalls it should help narrow down an area to investigate further. If neither one shows no differences it should rule out a fuel supply or power to the coil problem. Let us know what ,if anything you find.
Thank you. I have it in the shop right now because I needed to have it fixed asap and it was really getting on my nerves. By the way the mechanic was talking to me yesterday it seems like they're having a tough time figuring it out as well. If they can't get it that will be the first thing I try. Thank so much ill let you know what the outcome Is.