Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

Lost Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 04:16 PM
Default Lost Newbie

To give everyone the heads up, I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination so if you reply to my issue then be prepared to severely dumb it down. I have a 1993 F-350 XLT with a 460 engine, it died on me about a month and a half ago coming home from work. It just shut off and i coasted it into a parking lot and couldn’t get it to start again, so i had it towed to the shop who told me they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. They drove it and let it run in the parking lot and it didn’t act up at all until the day i was supposed to pick it up then it started spitting and sputtering on them, they came to conclusion that it was the distributor so they replaced it and I drove it for a couple of weeks with no issues. After that it started spitting and sputtering again and wouldn’t stay started, I had the codes ran it they pointed towards the air charge temperature sensor and the engine cooling temperature sensor. I replaced them and also replaced the MAP sensor and the idle air control module after reading some threads on the forum, it ran smooth after that but it would only run for about 10 to 15 minutes then just shut off like i turned the key off. No codes came in and after it shut down the fourth time i gave up for the night, two days later i fired it up again and now it wont stay started at all. I have to keep my foot on the gas and it will spit and sputter but as soon as i took my foot off the gas it would die. I don’t have any ideas left, has anyone ran into this before? Thanks,.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:33 AM

Since we have to start somewhere, might as well be ,,,,,,,,,,,,where did you get the replacement parts? I always ask this question because so many places are selling junk that is defective right out of the box. This causes confused thinking because , "I just replaced that part with a new one", and it can't be that ! Well those of us that have learned that the hard way are careful where we purchase parts. That said, we know an engine has to have fuel, air , spark at the right time and decent compression to start and run. So,,,,,,,,,
we can check for spark , check for fuel, and make sure there are no underlying problems that were ignored and left to grow to the point they don't do what they are supposed to do.
Sometimes special equipment is required to confirm the availability of these functions and most folks don't have the tools or ability to run the required tests.
Do you know if you have spark available and how to test for it when it will not start?
Can you hear if the fuel pump runs for the usual 2-3 seconds when you first turn the key on when it will not start?
This is basic information that has to be known and verified to start almost any "No start condition". (For this particular vehicle).
How do we stand with these requirements?