Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 02:44 PM
Default Need help

I just joined today I知 a new member I own a 1958 Ford custom 300 2 door coupe I知 looking for help I need a mechanic to tune my car up I live in Valporaiso Indiana if someone knows a mechanic that can help me from the form I appreciate it

Old 04-28-2019, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Im a stretch away,, hopefully someone close will chime in..

Old 04-29-2019, 12:57 PM

Thank you

Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 PM

Unless there is something special we need to know,
Just wondering , If you have an antique car , you must have some mechanical ability/experience to want to own one and have the pleasure of maintaining it.
If you have some mechanical ability , we should be able to assist you with doing a "Tune Up", what do you think?
If you think you would like to attempt replacing the spark plugs ,wires, etc. If it still has contact point ignition , and carburetor ,that is no problem..
What if you filled us in with some info, if you choose to, I believe we can help guide you . Things like what kind of tools you have to work with ,also can be helpful.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Default for help with my 58

when I drive and stop at a light or stop sign the car turns off
but it also turns back on

Originally Posted by hanky
Unless there is something special we need to know,
Just wondering , If you have an antique car , you must have some mechanical ability/experience to want to own one and have the pleasure of maintaining it.
If you have some mechanical ability , we should be able to assist you with doing a "Tune Up", what do you think?
If you think you would like to attempt replacing the spark plugs ,wires, etc. If it still has contact point ignition , and carburetor ,that is no problem..
What if you filled us in with some info, if you choose to, I believe we can help guide you . Things like what kind of tools you have to work with ,also can be helpful.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:05 PM

OK.
How about you give us a little info, like how you managed to choose this vehicle?
I ask this because from your description I gather you are not very familiar with vehicles , is this a possibility?
Your level of mechanical ability is important so we don't give you something to do that you may not care to get involved with. Just trying to be considerate.
Is this OK with you?
When you vehicle turns off, we usually say it stalls.
When you attempt to start the engine you either push a start button or turn the key and we say the engine is cranking over.
Once the engine starts running we usually say it fires up or starts up.
I am attempting to get us on the same page so when you describe a condition we should know what you mean. OK ?
From your description , It sounds like the engine is stalling which means it quit running. Still with us ?
Stalling can be caused by a few conditions some of which are, idle speed too low, fuel quality problem, vacuum leak , restricted air filter, maybe a carburetor mixture adjustment worn/incorrect spark plugs so to check and correct any of these possible problems , It is important to know if you understand any instructions put forth.
What do you think?