Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

Please Help! I am at a lost.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Exclamation Please Help! I am at a lost.

My Name is Jim. I have a 1966 Ford F-100, with a 352 underneath. I just got back from a year long deployment-Ex-fiance was supposed to start the truck bi-weekly. She was not able to accomplish this task.

MY ISSUE is that for some reason I am not getting Fuel to the Carburetor. I am an acft crew chief so I started to go back from the Carb to the side ext fuel filter down along to the "out" line on the fuel pump. Once I pulled the "IN" line on the pump I found out that there was no fuel- So I thought this should be easy Replace the pump. Went to autozone and bought a new pump and replaced the old one. That didn't fix it. So I went back towards the fuel cell. All the lines are cleared... or they are now.

So my new issue is that I am getting fuel to the pump but it is not getting pushed out- and I highly doubt that I got that one in a million part where it is jacked up. I followed the instructions to make sure that I installed the pump correctly, so it confuses me as to why the fuel is not being pushed out.

So if anyone has any advice/tips I am more then glad to listen. Cause I am lost.

Please send email to skylarmccoy@aol.com or reply here. I am LOST and would be glad to have ya'lls input.

Jim

Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 PM

I would like to think you have the fuel pump arm on the right side of the cam surface that operates the arm because you are getting fuel from the tank to the pump.
That pump may have sat on the shelf for quite some time and the valve that is supposed to close when the diaphram spring pushes the diaphram back up is not seating and is allowing the fuel to go back to the tank. I suspect you have a defective fuel pump. Try to get another one. You can check it before you install it by operating the pump arm manually and holding your finger on the inlet side and outlet side . The arm is hard to push , but you can do it. You should have suction on the inlet hole and pressure on the outlet hole. When you push the arm it gives you suction and when you release the arm, the spring under the diaphram will push it up giving you pressure on the outlet side.

Some pump assys allowed one to remove the screws and separate the pump halves and you were able to see the valves usually on the upper half. It is possible whoever rebuilt the pump installed both valves the same way and it won't work that way. One has to allow fuel to come in only, and the other allows fuel to only go out. If yu decide to open it up you should have no trouble seeing the problem. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited by hanky; 02-14-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 PM

Thank you. I dont know if this is the right way to do it but I actually took the pump off(with the lines attatched still) and manually pushed fuel up the out line to where it was pouring out of the "In" line on the Carb. Reattached the "in" line on the carb- Crank it once- Fail. Tried once more again I got the engine started. I let it sit there for a good half hour inside the little storage unit to see if it fixed the problem. It Did.

NEW QUESTION IS: Does that sound right to you that I should manually "Prime" the line in order for it to work?

Old 02-15-2012, 03:14 AM

Maybe you just didn't crank it long enough to get the fuel up there. I don't know.
If it is working now, that's all that matters. Good work !

Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM

Yea maybe- Thank you for all of your advise. I will add it to my memory/troubleshooting techniques to my further friends who might have the same issue with it.