Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

starting a 4.6 liter v8

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:21 AM
Default starting a 4.6 liter v8

I have a 1999 mercury gran marquise thats just the chassis with engine, trans, wiring computer ect.. Want to get engine to run before moving this drive train to my 47 hudson truck. I have fuel to the fuelrail and have connected as many systems on the wiring back together as possible. the dash is gone and the pedals are not connected, but I have been able to get engine to turn over but not crank by jumping it off the starter and I have made the fuel pump hot to get fuel to the engine. My question is is there anything blocking me getting fire to the engine, such as securty system or any other safety system ect. ? Thanks for any thoughts or comments, Tim

Old 11-11-2018, 05:07 AM

Tim,
IMO , you might want to do a little homework on how the systems operate on the Mercury. Once you have some idea what is involved you could have second thoughts regarding the install.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Tim,
IMO , you might want to do a little homework on how the systems operate on the Mercury. Once you have some idea what is involved you could have second thoughts regarding the install.
Thanks for the advise. Could you tell me a source to find out the system info I need so I can sort out what to do? Thanks again guess I am looking to put a more modern drivetrain in but don't know what to choose

Old 11-13-2018, 04:50 PM

Just about any vehicle with an engine computer relies on inputs from various sensors and ,there can be quite a few, which provide info for the computer to control things like fuel injection , engine timing, shifting, idle speed and the list goes on. . Without the info from these sensors the vehicle may not even start never mind run well.
If you are determined read up on various vehicle systems so you have some idea where these sensors are and how they work. Even the exhaust pipes have oxygen sensors and catalytic converters whose info is required for decent running. Some speed shops may be better able to answer your questions and maybe be able to recommend different alternatives you might consider.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Just about any vehicle with an engine computer relies on inputs from various sensors and ,there can be quite a few, which provide info for the computer to control things like fuel injection , engine timing, shifting, idle speed and the list goes on. . Without the info from these sensors the vehicle may not even start never mind run well.
If you are determined read up on various vehicle systems so you have some idea where these sensors are and how they work. Even the exhaust pipes have oxygen sensors and catalytic converters whose info is required for decent running. Some speed shops may be better able to answer your questions and maybe be able to recommend different alternatives you might consider.
Thanks again for the insight and advise