Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

taurus cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Smile taurus cruise control

I have a 2006 taurus and have a problem with the cruise. First, the cruise light will not come on. I'm guessing the fuse is ok since the brake lights and the horn work. I thought it could be the on/off switch---just changed it---not the problem. Talked to the FORD dealer and they said bring it in of course. Probably cost more than the car!!!! I have no clue what to try next---can anyone help me ?????

Old 08-13-2015, 05:03 AM

I would think since the light will not even come on when cruise is selected , these could be among the reasons.
1 No power to the switch, need a test lite or volt meter to confirm this.
2 Switch, but since you already replaced it (Switch from Ford) you probably could eliminate that.
3. Check the stoplite switch , if not positioned correctly it may be cancelling out request.
4.Possible problem with clockspring not having closed circuit

Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Default taurus cruise control

Thanks for the reply Hanky. I just did a test to see if I had power to the ON/OFF switch and I do. Trying to remove the secondary switch by the brake pedal as some seem to think that could be the problem sometimes. Can't get the stupid thing off !!!! Got the wires going to it off, but cannot figure out how to get it out of it's little bracket. I'm not sure what this would have to do with the cruise light not coming on, but thought I would look at it while I was there.
Still cannot get it off !!!! Got it off!!!!! You have to turn it instead of pulling straight out. Lesson learned. Cleaned it. Still NO cruise light or cruise.

Thanks,

Danny

Last edited by dannyg; 08-13-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:46 PM

I have a 06 Taurus. I have had the cruise stepper motor cable linkage at the throttle body; coming out of its clip. a quick inspection under the black plastic shield on the throttle body would confirm or rule it out.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 PM

There should be a cruise cut-off switch mounted on the master cylinder under the hood. That switch will not allow cruise to even come on if it fails. They usually fail in the open position. At normal , no brake applied, the switch should show continuity. You might want to confirm that it is functioning correctly.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:09 PM

You should try to obtain a schematic to determine exact current path.
You have power to the switch and when turned on power is supposed to go through the clockspring under the steering wheel to the speed control servo. If the indicator doesn't lite , need to confirm lamp is good. If lamp is ok check for power at the servo in the engine compartment. Let us know what you find so far.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Default 2006 taurus cruise control

Well, here I am again. Changed out the clock spring with a used one from JY because I noticed my air bag light was on all the time. Fixed that problem, but still no cruise. Hanky gave me some ideas but none of that has fixed the problem. Have appointment at dealer to run tests---hate to pay them $65 and I'm not sure they can tell me for sure what the prob is. I feel like they will give me a list of things it COULD be. Will let you know and if anyone comes up with anything, please let me know.

Thanks,

Danny