Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Ford Taurus Possible Cruise Control Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Unhappy Ford Taurus Possible Cruise Control Issue?

So I have a 2003 Ford Taurus and I am having trouble diagnosing what my exact problem is. It's speeding up at times without me pushing in the pedal. The RPMS will spike and it just goes! It sort of feels like the cruise control is going off and on and the cruise control light will blink at times but I'm not pushing anything. I'm very worried that at some point it may get stuck. I've tried replacing a few sensors like the transmission range sensor and some other stuff. Replaced the transmission fluid thought that might help at first. Also pulled the deactivation switch near the break pedal it was apparently already damaged and basically fell off in my hand. I just want to disconnect the cruise control entirely and see if that fixes the problem anyone know how I might do this?

Last edited by soraxcloud; 04-12-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:04 AM

Just as a test, you could always look in the owner's manual for the particular fuse that protects the cruise circuit and remove t. Just make sure no other important other circuits will be affected by the fuse removal.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 PM

May be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). This is a sensor mounted on the transmission. It sends the vehicle speed to the computer and controls the speedometer reading. If it is failing it may send a false speed signal to the computer and trick the cruise control into thinking you are going slower than the set point.

Notice if your speedometer jumps every now and then. This is a clue that it may be the VSS.

Did you get your codes read? if not go to one of the larger parts store and they can pull them for you for free. This may point you to exactly what is wrong.