Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

04 Freestar, I think it's time for a basic tuneup

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Default 04 Freestar, I think it's time for a basic tuneup

Ok, my 04 Freestar came back from getting its new transmission with a little "chug" or miss under load at low rpm/throttle. Thought it might just be the computer learning the new shift points or something so I lived with it. Then it started missing right after you started it and put it in gear. Wait 30 seconds and it smoothes out. Now I have a check engine light saying I have a misfire on cylinder 2.

The dealer I bought it from put a new cam position sensor in it for free right after I bought it, but I have no idea when or if it's ever gotten new plugs, etc.

So I'm going to have to tear it down to get to the rear plugs, and I don't want to make a habit of this, so I want to take care of things while I'm there.

My plan is to replace the plugs, the wires, and the coil. Any other items that are a real pain to get to back there that I should consider doing also?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Post-work update on this.

Replaced the plugs, wires, and coil pack. It would appear that all of them were the original equipment so 112K miles might be a little excessive between spark plug replacements.

Seems to run a lot smoother now, and has enough zip to chirp the tires.

The coil pack was fairly easy to replace once I took the cowl out, the back sparkplugs were a nightmare, the front ones weren't terrible. An air ratchet makes life much easier.

All in all I would say it took about 3 hours from opening the hood to going for the test drive.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:45 PM

I just love these types of posts where everything comes out right.
Good job , nice work !

Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
I just love these types of posts where everything comes out right.
Good job , nice work !
Me too! When I first turned it over after it was done and it wouldn't start I was a little worried, but it turned out the coil pack wire wasn't quite plugged in all the way so easy fix and we were off and running.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Kudos!

Have a look-see at your intake runner controls, sitting on the passenger side of the engine:

A 4 pack of plastic bushings is about $4 at the parts store.