Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 Freestar rear lift gate handle

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 PM

mehrassak,

On their way to you. Check your email.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:35 AM

I too need the information on reattaching the rear handle if someone can send me those instructions also. Thanks!

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-25-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM

On their way to you.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Default stuck hatch

I have seen some with problems of the handle breaking off...and a few that seem to have a problem of door not unlocking. I seem to be having the latter problem. I have a 2004 freestar....I can no longer get the hatch open, doesn't sound like it is unlocking. Tried removing the little 2" square on the panel but don't see anything but foam. Any suggestions how to fix problem so I can open hatch again? Thanks!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:59 PM

dlahowetz,

I have a couple pictures from my 2004 that might help you. I also have the diagrams for the handle repair. Drop me an email at minnesotamike at charter.net and I will forward those on to you.

Mike

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Default Freestar hatch not opening anymore

Originally Posted by dlahowetz
I have seen some with problems of the handle breaking off...and a few that seem to have a problem of door not unlocking. I seem to be having the latter problem. I have a 2004 freestar....I can no longer get the hatch open, doesn't sound like it is unlocking. Tried removing the little 2" square on the panel but don't see anything but foam. Any suggestions how to fix problem so I can open hatch again? Thanks!
Get diagrams froom Minnesota Mike, it will be very helpful to see what you are looking for.
You need to remove the interior trim to get the door open. Open your side doors and get a fan set up to blow on you in the van. It gets warm quick even in the shade. Ford has new actuators for around $50. Start at the top trim panel where it meets the bottom. Pull it away froom the ahtch firm yet gently. You will see the clips pull at the trim as you pull them from the frame. Pull to hard and you will pull the clip out of the trim.Work your waqy around the top trim and then remove. The interior handle is held by (2) 8mm bolts, and two philip screws at the bottom corners. Then pull at the clips around the lower trim piece. Work the trim piece off the bottom of the hatch. It is difficult yet can be done with hatch closed. *I did it* Put a screw driver in the metal piece of the actuator and push it to the left. You should hear the door release as if you pulled on the outside handle. * Power lock should be open.* After you open the hatch there are 3 philip screws on the bottom edge to renove the actuator and replace with the new. Remove the 2 electrical clips from the old actuator and reattach to the new one. Do the reverse to put it all back together.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 PM
mwf
Default Photo of liftgate handle

Does anyone have a photo of the unbroken handle. I want to cehck to see if anything broke off the handle.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Default 2004 freestar hatch will not open

We have taken the little square off and moved the little white thing and that moves but the door still will not open if you could please send me anything on how to open the hatch and fix this problem you would make my day Thank you.

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-25-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:02 AM

Is the cable attached to the white thing? Did you try getting a hold of the cable and pulling it? I'll send you the schematics, but I'm not sure they will help since I'm not sure you can take the inside panels off without the door being open. Maybe somebody else has an idea.

Mike

Old 07-17-2011, 01:36 AM

I just read there is a recall for the 2005 liftgate module, whatever that is. I used "ask.com" and ask if there are any recalls on the brake system and found this recall on the liftgate. I need help with the brakes on my 05 freestar as ive replaced the master cylinder, pads, and a valve! Please help!

Quick Reply: 2004 Freestar rear lift gate handle