Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 Freestar tranny qustion

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:45 PM
Default 2004 Freestar tranny qustion

Hi All! We have a 2004 Ford Freestat (3.9L, AX4N? trans) and it has developed a hard 1st to 2nd gear after being warmed up. The trans was rebuilt 2-1/2 years ago (just out of it's warranty) and the transmission shop says it needs another rebuild. Got a neighbor who works on cars a lot and he said that sometimes replacing the Transmission VSS sensors (input and output), and/or the transmission range selector could be the culprit. Neighbor says one sensor is located behind the driver front wheel on the tranny, but said the other one is VERY difficult to get to. I don't remember where he said the transmission range selector was located. Anyone heard this before? We don't have the money to replace the tranny, and even if we did, the van is old and has a few other problems. Might be easier to finance a newer used car. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Old 10-11-2020, 05:20 AM

Before jumping to any conclusions why not get a second opinion from a good shop. There may be codes in the system that might direct a tech where to check.
You know this vehicle and only you know what maintenance has been done and it's condition as to whether it is worth a major expense. I question the quality of a rebuild that lasted only 2 plus years. If the vehicle condition is worth it to you , you might consider getting a "Remanufactured" trans installed if that is necessary.
A Reman has all the latest modifications and new parts installed whereas a rebuit will only have certain parts replaced and a Reman comes with a much better warranty.
Of course a Reman costs more, but these days hopefully, you get what you pay for..

Old 10-11-2020, 06:06 PM

Thanks hanky for your advice. I have thought that if we DID decide to go with having the trans redone, we would NOT go with the same shop to do the work. Like you say, it's only been about 2-1/2 years. I forgot to mention the transmission shop said he pulled a P732 code, although I didn't see a check engine light on either before or after going to the shop. Now that I think of it, years ago one of my daughters had an old Chrysler Le Baron. That trans would have problems shifting. Found out from a guy online that this was due to a bad tranny speed sensor. Since the new sensor only cost a few bucks, and it was pretty easy to get to, I changed it. My daughter said the car worked great after that. So I wonder if that might be the culprit this time. The van shifts perfect when it's cold, it's only when it's warmed up to normal temperature that the 1st to 2nd shift can be hard. Seems to me, if there was really a problem in the transmission that required a rebuild, then the hard shift would be all the time. Does that make sense?

Last edited by oldad; 10-11-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:11 AM

I can't provide a definite answer, so all I might do from here is ask a few questions or pass on some thoughts
When possible we try to eliminate causes by attempting to isolate to particular conditions.

What ever is going on seems to be affecting the shift into second gear.
So, we look for all the possibilities that involve shifting out of first and into second.
Usually a speed sensor would affect more than one shift , but not always.
If the problem is always present every time it makes that shift., it should be a little easier to isolate the cause although a valve sticking inside the valve body would require opening up the trans and actually inspecting the 1-2 shift valve for something possibly causing it to stick or hang up. The same could apply to a shift solenoid or 2nd gear clutch assy. Sure once the trans is opened up and the cause determined, it doesn't make sense to reinstall a bunch of used parts, hence the rebuild. Some trans required the valve body to be replaced and that corrected the problem. As you can see by now , it can get a little complicated and unless a shop had that particular problem, they could offer a more definite answer and even then get trapped into tunnel vision.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:33 PM

Thanks hanky. I could have been a little more informative when I made my post. The tranny has only about 45,000 miles on it since the rebuild, and I don't think there is a need for another rebuild. Let me explain. The transmission runs great/shifts right when cold. Only after warming up is there the occasional hard 1st to 2nd shift. Checking on the internet shows lots of articles on the infamous 'Freestar AX4N hard 1st-to-2nd shift" Suggestions include checking the PCM connection under the cowl for corrosion (I can do this - just labor) as well as cleaning the wiring harness connection to the top of the transmission, which I suppose I can find and do. There are also a few articles about checking/changing the VSS/TSS sensors on the tranny (these aren't that expensive). I know there is one sensor you get to by pulling the front left tire off, but I don't know where the other sensor is located. My guess is it is some place hard to find/work on and replace. I was/am hoping someone here knows about this problem and/or knows where the VSS/TSS sensors are on this vehicle? The reason I mention being a senior on a fixed income is to let people here know that I am not as nimble as I used to be so it takes me a bit of time to do tings, and that we can't afford to spend buckets of money on old van. Either way I appreciate everyone's advice.