Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

6 Codes ( Errors ) in a morning :-/

Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Default 6 Codes ( Errors ) in a morning :-/

Hi guys . i just bought a 2004 Ford Freestar Cargo Van.I drove it for 4 days and it's runs perfect.When i get to the car today in a morning it start showing me a lot of codes ( errors ) and acting terrible ! Reverse gear engaged in 5% , RPM going high on neutral and throwing those codes ... P0204 , P0715 , P0340, P0174 , P0300 .... IDK what to do may be main computer or tranny computer ? please help me if some one was facing anything like this.thank you guys

Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 AM

Before jumping to high $$$ repair items, I would check and do the easy normal wear and tear items. If not done recently or you have no idea of/or when they were done last, I would do the following.

1. Replace spark plugs
2. Replace wires
3. Replace coil pack
4. Replace fuel filter
5. Clean MAF/ACT sensor
6. New battery (can cause random misfires and a slew of other drivability issues)
7. Check your IMRC actuator and linkage for operation (Intake runner)

Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM

I agree with Use Common Sense.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:11 AM

Thank you guys.Will try step by step but thinking of tranny computer or engine main computer.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Personally, if it was running just fine when you put it away last and then popped all of the coded and ran crappy on the next start-up, I would double check the battery terminals for good contact and or replace the battery. A flakey battery can start the vehicle, but cause all kinds of drivability issues and codes. I don't really trust these new fangled battery testers. Reason being, a couple of years ago, my Freestar had a new Motorcraft battery installed and after about 6 months, it would be dead if it sat over the week-end without being started. Ford tested the battery as GOOD with their new fangled tester. However, the battery would die periodically for no reason. Jump-start the van and it would be fine for a week or two, then just randomly be dead. Alternator/charging system was just fine. Came home from work one day and I left the lights on just to give the battery a test-see. Lights went out and I assumed the battery saver kicked in. Nope, battery was dead. Jump-started the van and took it straight to Ford. They again tested it GOOD. I said, lets turn the headlights on and wait. After about 8 minutes, the headlights started to flicker and then went out. Battery was dead. So, a new battery under warranty and all has been good since.

As a side note, the TESTED GOOD bad battery went into thermal runaway later in the evening at the dealership after being replaced. I would not have been a happy camper if it happened while in my van.

But hey...That's my opinion and experience...

It's still up to you as to what you want to do and which course to take.

Here's a picture of what kind of damage/mess a thermal runaway looks like in a vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails 6 Codes ( Errors ) in a morning :-/-carbatteryrunaway.jpg  

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 05-10-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Spelling