Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 03:33 PM
Default Braking issue

This might not be just Freestar but since it's a freestar I will ask here.

So brake doesn't feel like it's gripping. Since most of the braking is from the front, is what I've heard, I took the front apart and the pad seems to be thick as new. I have not check the rear yet. What could it be? brake line? Caliper? It does brake, just have to step on it hard.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:21 PM

The majority of the braking force is delivered by the front brakes since the weight is transferred to the front when stopping.
The condition of the pad you describe, are both the inner and outer pads like new? That could mean that caliper isn't doing much work and the cause should be determined and corrected.
There may be a problem with the brake booster that is supposed to help make stopping easier. Brakes are something that should be checked by an experienced person because there are certain things you need to know to keep you from getting into possible trouble. All we want is when you step on that peddle , it stops like it should.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:21 AM

Freestars are prone to having the slide pins crud up and freeze in place. This causes the outer pad to look like new and the inner pad will wear uneven with the outer portion looking OK as well. This causes you to only be using the inner pads to stop with. This occurs on both the front and rear pins. If you're in the salt belt, it's even worse. This is why I do a complete tear down spring and fall on my Freestar. I always find at least 2 slide pins seized or almost seized every time.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:45 AM

Slide pin? Incase my search result shows 0, what is the slide pin?

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Freestars are prone to having the slide pins crud up and freeze in place. This causes the outer pad to look like new and the inner pad will wear uneven with the outer portion looking OK as well. This causes you to only be using the inner pads to stop with. This occurs on both the front and rear pins. If you're in the salt belt, it's even worse. This is why I do a complete tear down spring and fall on my Freestar. I always find at least 2 slide pins seized or almost seized every time.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:50 AM

I got it. I do remember it kinda stuck around the rubber area when i took it apart. So does it just lube or replacement?

Old 07-26-2016, 03:55 AM

I normally use a drill bit to clean the hole out that the slid pin inserts into. I spray BRAKE KLEEN into the hole as I clean it out. The I sand the crud off of the pins if it isn't too bad. Seems like every 4 years, I just go ahead and buy new pin kits that include new rubbers. I lube the pins with ceramic brake grease.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:05 AM

as of the devil, I just got an ABS lights on now, urghhh