Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Ignition switch replaced now no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:44 AM
Default Ignition switch replaced now no start

Ok so today I drilled out a 2004 freestar ignition switch and not there is nothing getting to the starter relay wh n I try to start it. Also I have no odometer display windows won’t go down and a fe other issues. Can anyone tell me what could’ve happened while changing the ignition switch to cause those issues?

Old 03-11-2018, 03:27 PM

Suppose we start with this;
I believe your vehicle has a security system and coded key, is this correct?
If it does have a security system and you changed the key , it will affect the ability to start.
So,,,,,,,,,,,,, what is the anti theft lite doing ?
And while we're at it , why did you need to change the key tumbler, if that is what you did?

Old 03-11-2018, 04:27 PM

My friend lost her keys, so instead of calling a locksmith she asked me to change the ignition. I didn’t realize she didn’t have the keys until I went to start the job, so I drilled the ignition out, carefully. I damaged nothing in the switch housing.
As far as the security system goes, the interior lights blink off and on and the red dash light does the same. The old key and the new key look like regular dealer keys. With the black hard plastic at the top. There is no chip visible, is it internal?

Old 03-11-2018, 06:54 PM

Chip is internal.
You have a few options.
Because the vehicle security system will not recognize the new key you can,
1. Have a locksmith come and code the new keys to the vehicle
2. Have a dealership code the keys according to the vehicle VIN.
The horse is out of the stable and now you don't have much choice.

FYI , you need 2 working keys to program anymore by yourself. Always, when coded keys are involved have at least 3 working keys. If you lose one or if for some reason one of the keys decides to lose the code, you still have 2 keys to help yourself. You can purchase replacement keys that need to be programmed to your vehicle, but you can do it yourself if you have 2 working keys.