Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

No A/C - Blown O-Ring seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 05:59 AM
Default No A/C - Blown O-Ring seal

Well, looks like I have another project on my hands which may help others with "No A/C" issues. Went to fire up my A/C (was a little warm in the van yesterday), and what do you know. No cooling. Hummmmm...Wonder what the problem is. Popped the gages on and what do you know, no pressure in the system (has to be a leak somewhere). Put the nitrogen to the system and what do I hear? Hissssssssssssssss from the rear. Quick look and there it is. Low Side like leaking at the quick connect (picture included). Guess it's time for some new O-Rings on the High and Low side in the rear (hope my hands fit ). May as well check the rear in-line filter on the high side while I'm at it.

Attached Thumbnails No A/C - Blown O-Ring seal-rear-hvac-seal-leakage.jpg  
Old 04-30-2015, 06:01 AM

Nice pix, got your work cut out for you!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:34 AM

Yep, about the only thing that will fit in there are Gremlins and they're usually the ones causing all the problems...Maybe if I throw a few O-rings in the garage and close the door for a couple of days, they'll fix it for me...LOL

Old 04-30-2015, 11:50 PM

Went to the Ford dealer and ordered 8 O-Rings for the rear lines. Each line takes 4 O-Rings each. One at the compression nut end and 3 at the slip joint end. Will have to clean some crud off the lines and around the joints, then hopefully I can get the disconnect tool inserted and the lines actually disconnect.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:29 AM

Well, after some cleaning, was finally able to get the smaller line (Liquid) off. The quick disconnect gave me some troubles, but finally gave up and released. The inline filter was not in the greatest shape (screen releasing from its molded housing). Ford wants &30 for one, I found one on EBAY for $10. Spent quite a bit of time on the suction line without it budging. The nut on the compression fitting that goes into the "Y" fitting would not turn without twisting the line. And there's too much crud behind the compression fitting spring for it to release. Heated it and soaked the snot out of it with some Kroil Penetrating oil. Hopefully it will release and I'll only need to buy the lower line. If it doesn't, then I'll need to also purchase the upper line and tear into the rear A/C unit/fan housing to get that line out. The saga continues...

Here's a pic of the small in-line filter for the rear liquid line. It's only about 1.25" long.

Attached Thumbnails No A/C - Blown O-Ring seal-freestar-rear-ac-inline-filter.jpg  
Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 PM

Tried and no luck on getting the corrosion at the quick disconnect to break free on the suction line. Went ahead and ordered the 2 lines needed from ROCKAUTO.COM. Saved 1/2 the price from Ford and will be here in a couple of days which is fine. That will give me time to tear the rear unit apart far enough to have room to get the old line out. Fun...Fun...Fun...

Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM

Update: Unbolted the rear unit and swung it down to pull the suction line off. Also removed the liquid line. Good thing that the suction line was corroded and would not release. Found that the line is actually corroded thru just above the disconnect fitting. Checked the liquid line and it's soon to follow, so I just ordered one of those from ROCKAUTO.com

Here are a few pics of the rear unit swung down for access and the lines showing the corrosion.

Attached Thumbnails No A/C - Blown O-Ring seal-rear_ac_01.jpg   No A/C - Blown O-Ring seal-rear_ac_02.jpg   No A/C - Blown O-Ring seal-rear_ac_suction.jpg   No A/C - Blown O-Ring seal-rear_ac_liquid.jpg  
Old 05-09-2015, 01:59 PM

Update: Received all of my parts and installed them. Reassembled the rear HVAC unit. Since the system was empty for who knows how long and I had it open for about a week, I pulled a vacuum and then vacuumed for another 2 hours. System held the vacuum for 1 hour. Added refrigerant and both front and rear units are cooling great. 87° ambient outside temp, 93° inside the van and 45-47° coming out all of the front and rear vents. Now, if I can only get the gremlins to put all of the tools away...

Old 06-13-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Well, after some cleaning, was finally able to get the smaller line (Liquid) off. The quick disconnect gave me some troubles, but finally gave up and released. The inline filter was not in the greatest shape (screen releasing from its molded housing). Ford wants &30 for one, I found one on EBAY for $10. Spent quite a bit of time on the suction line without it budging. The nut on the compression fitting that goes into the "Y" fitting would not turn without twisting the line. And there's too much crud behind the compression fitting spring for it to release. Heated it and soaked the snot out of it with some Kroil Penetrating oil. Hopefully it will release and I'll only need to buy the lower line. If it doesn't, then I'll need to also purchase the upper line and tear into the rear A/C unit/fan housing to get that line out. The saga continues...

Here's a pic of the small in-line filter for the rear liquid line. It's only about 1.25" long.
Is that filter in there stock? I'm in process of doing a complete compressor, condenser, dryer, rear exp valve, and orifice filter swap.. dont want to miss anything.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:33 AM

Yes, if you have rear A/C, the filter in the rear liquid line is stock. They're pretty price for me based on how small the filter is, but as I said, I found mine on EBAY for $10.

Quick Reply: No A/C - Blown O-Ring seal