Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

Erratic A/C Compressor Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Post Erratic A/C Compressor Clutch

My 2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L V6 is having some A/C issues. The A/C has been out for some time and I finally got around to trying to recharge it to look for leaks. I recharged the system using one of those DIY UV dye systems. When I recharged it yesterday, the compressor clutch was working fine and I was able to put an entire bottle into the system. I noted that there was little increase in the system pressure as I did this and suspected a leak. After charging and letting it run for several minutes, I used my UV light to inspect everything I could from above and below the vehicle. No noted UV leakage anywhere that I could see. This morning and went out to try again (in a cooler garage) and noticed that the compressor clutch was not engaging at all. The relay is getting ~12v and the fuse is intact. After taking it for a drive the A/C would work off and on and after parking I noticed the clutch engaging rather erratically. I hooked up the charging system and saw this. I haven't dug in to the troubleshooting checklist from the service manual (mostly because I don't have the proprietary Ford DTC reader or proper gauges). I am curious what the community thinks before I drop some cash on additional tools or I fold and take it into the dealership.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:07 PM

You really can't be sure of anything until you get some idea of the pressures in the system.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:32 PM

I hooked up some manifold gauges and here are the results:

Ambient temperature: 80F
Pressures while clutch not engaged (L/H): 79psi/140psi
Pressures while clutch engaged (L/H): 50psi/185psi

Video here

The clutch engages for about 10 seconds and then shuts off for about 15 seconds. I have read this can be caused by an overcharged system but these readings don't seem to be outside of specs. Thoughts?

Old 06-25-2017, 05:40 PM

Just about all auto A/C systems have a pressure switch on the low / suction part of the system . And may be on the high / liquid side , also .

Find a wiring diagram to your car . See if there is an evaporator temperature sensor .

Is the clutch relay cycling at the same time as the clutch is cycling ?

Are the electric radiator fans working correctly ?

God bless
Wyr