Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

My brakes kill my car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Default My brakes kill my car!

I need some help. For the past several months my car has unpredictably died about five or six time and it is always when I have to apply my brakes a bit harder than normal. The first time scared me half to death because I was doing about 50 mph and then the traffic in front of me suddenly slowed down. I pushed on my brakes and slowed to about 20 mph before traffic started going again. I shifted to the appropriate gear, pushed on the gas and NOTHING! The car had stalled for no apparent reason. I had enough momentum to turn the wheel (which had no power steering) and get my car to the side of the road. I looked the car over and couldn't find anything wrong with it so I hopped back in, restarted it, and went on my way.

This would be puzzling enough if it only happened once but it has happened multiple times, including this morning (which prompted me to post this). At one point my brake fluid was low which caused the "BRAKE" light to come on my gauges so I filled it to the proper level and thought my stang would be fine. It has happened twice since then. My car has a manual transmission but it is not what seems to be killing the car. When it stalls I hardly even notice it. It's as if the engine just switches off. There is no jerk or abrupt stop like there is when someone kills a manual transmission vehicle.

I figure I'm going to have to take it to a mechanic but if there is something I can do to fix it first I would obviously rather do that. As you can probably guess my car is a 2000 Mustang 4.6L GT. If there are any Ford or Mustang experts out there that know what is causing this please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

Old 07-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Default RE: My brakes kill my car!

i would check on www.mustangforums.com , there are obviously a ton of guys in the know on your car there!

Old 07-07-2005, 02:11 AM

One possiblility i can think of is possibly an EGR valve hanging open which when the car comes down to ide or slow speeds could die

post back and lets us know what you find

Old 10-22-2006, 09:51 PM

vacume hose leak or disconnectd