Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

1983 Ford Ranger - 2.8L 4WD - Manual Shifter Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Default 1983 Ford Ranger - 2.8L 4WD - Manual Shifter Assembly

Hello everyone, first post for me on this forum....and so you know, I now own my first Ford!

Just an overview of how I ended up buying this truck, though I admit this is a little off topic; I purchased this truck to park at the train station permanently and to drive the 2.5 miles to and from work each day. I paid $600 and the engine runs fine. During the week that i've owned it, i've changed the oil and put in full synthetic. I dropped all of the gear oil, front and back, and replaced it with new stuff. I put in new spark plugs (E3s) and wiring for them. I put in a new air filter (there was no air filter in it when I purchased it). Greased up the drivetrain wherever it was an option. Suctioned out as much other fluids (break, coolant, power steering, etc) and replaced them. Overall, I feel like $600+$200 in maintenance to reverse ignorant owner action was a good deal.

On to the problem...when I bought the truck, I was told that the shifter would slip out because the shifter bushing wasn't in place, which it wasn't. I replaced this, and noticed that the shifter rod was chewed up where it sits in the bushing (because the shifter was shifted metal on metal for God knows how long). Only three of the bolts attaching to the transmission (or transfer case?) are in place, and one of them can't be tightened down because it compounds the problem for some reason. In the end, I would like to purchase a replacement shifter assembly, but I can not find one at any junk yard locally nor at online sites that I could find.

Can you help me out with this? Is there a 1983 Ford Ranger graveyard that i'm unaware of? I know some of the parts are interchangeable with later models, but this one doesn't seem to be. Rangers and broncos of later years that i've seen (86-87ish) are shaped differently where they connect to the tranny.

Just so you know, I do not know cars too well. I know basic maintenance as listed above.

Thanks!

Jason

Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 AM

I would like to see if I could offer any useful suggestions to help correct the problem, but I need some additional help from you.
When you say the bushing , just where is the bushing and could the bolts holding the shifter housing be interfering and maybe too long?
Have you tried to remove the shifter housing yet?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:06 AM

I apologize for not knowing my terminology, but the plastic bushing sits inside the piecs that slides forward and back between the shifting forks. It is the part that the stick actually moves forward and back to move between gears. The part is about the diameter of a quarter, and with the bushing, the stick is supposed to sit inside the smaller hole of the bushing. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I will post some pictures a little bit later.

As for the shifter housing, i've completely removed the tower down to the gasket. This is the only way for me to realign the shifter rod with shifting coupling (or whatever it is called). I don't believe the bolts are too long for the application, but I will definitely take a look....and post pictures.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 AM

It does help if we are all on the same page.
Usually, the shift stick is held in the tower by a spring and ball or similar set up and the tip of the shift stick slides in the slots on the shift rails. Usually there are three rails to provide rev, 1st ,2,3 4&5.
When you post the pics , it will be much easier to understand (at least for me) what parts you need.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!...type=3&theater

Hopefully you can link to these photos. Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Is this shifter for the transfer case to shift into 4 wheel drive?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 AM

No, the shifter for the transfer case is to the left of the gear shifter.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:47 PM

In checking around did you try checking Mazda websites ? I think you may have some luck there or even a Mazda dealer.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 AM

I have not checked with Mazda. But I did hit up about fifteen salvage yards in Fort Worth yesterday while in Texas. No luck. I live in Utah, and still no luck so far.

Do you know of any diagrams showing this assembly? I wonder if I am missing any pieces.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM

I know Ford used quite a bit of the same parts as Mazda and you never know until you check.

Quick Reply: 1983 Ford Ranger - 2.8L 4WD - Manual Shifter Assembly