Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

2002 Ranger Will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Default 2002 Ranger Will not turn over

its a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge V6 5 speed. Latley it has been getting harder to start when i press down on the clutch. Now its to the point that im having to put all my weight down on the pedal in order for it to turn over. Please help.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM

If the starter will crank once you get the pedal down far enough, but the effort required to get the pedal down there could indicate a lack of lubrication on the clutch release bearing assy that slides on the input shaft sleeve/housing.
If that doesn't help there may be problems with the clutch pressure plate assy.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM

There is no issue with pressing the pedal down..It feels normal, it’s just that lately I have to press the pedal to the floor and then put a lot of pressure on it and then it turns over. It’s progressively getting more difficult to start. Is there some sort of actuator or solenoid on the clutch pedal that is triggered when the clutch pedal has been pressed down far enough in order to engage the starter?

Old 07-17-2012, 03:20 AM

Yes. There is a clutch safety switch whose contacts close when the pedal is depressed. I believe it is on the clutch linkage. It may be on the way out or just need adjustment.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Does anybody happen to know the name of the switch also is it easier and cheaper to replace versus bypassing the switch?

Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 PM

You have to excuse my preferences for OEM parts, that's because you usually get the right parts the first time. A Ford parts dept should have no problem providing the switch.
Personally if Ford could have eliminated that switch in every vehicle that has one, look at how much they would have saved. It's there for a reason and Should never be by-passed.
As I see it, the price of the new switch is nothing, compared to what can happen if it's in gear and someone goes to start it without depressing the clutch pedal. And , as you know,,,, that is the time it will start instantly,,, when every other time it may have to crank a few turns.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 AM

there is a safety device that the clutch pedal has to be pushed before it will start and the safety device might be going bad !

Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 PM

If that doesn't help there may be problems with the clutch pressure plate assy.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 PM

sounds like safty switch for sure quick to replace and cheap

Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 PM

huh I just thought it was common sense to push in the clutch pedal when starting a engine in a stick shift vehicle regardless of what gear it's in, most people set the parking brake as well, at least I do that way it won't roll and hit someone when I'm trying to start it up

Quick Reply: 2002 Ranger Will not turn over