Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

91 Ranger, ac rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Default 91 Ranger, ac rattles

91 Ranger, 4.0, the AC clicks/rattles. is it the AC clutch and is it easy to replace? Thanks

Old 07-02-2016, 03:49 AM

Usually when the magnetic clutch energizes , it is with a definite click ,once !
If the system is low on refrigerant it can click on then off almost instantly because the low pressure cut-off is trying to protect the compressor. If the refrigerant has leaked out of the system , the clutch will not stay engaged.
If there is a problem with the clutch itself, the electrical power to it and ground should be confirmed good before condemning the clutch assy. If all that is OK, then the clutch should be replaced. Replacing a clutch assy requires some special tools or damage to the compressor will result. Best to either get the correct tools or let a shop with the correct tools do it.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:01 AM

Thanks very much. Looks like a trip to my mechanic is in the future. Again thanks a lot Hanky.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:15 PM

You may not need to do anything other than add refrigerant to the system. Depending on your determination, you could do that yourself with a little studying and careful working.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
You may not need to do anything other than add refrigerant to the system. Depending on your determination, you could do that yourself with a little studying and careful working.

Just follow up. Before I ever posted here I added refrigerant no use.
Mechanic added oil to the pump to no use.
End results was, original installer, when system was changed out to new system 10 yrs ago, did not do a clean job and contaminated the system and I had to have everything new again. Thanks for the input.