Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

96 ranger high reving problem and other stuff HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Default RE: 96 ranger high reving problem and other stuff HELP

Ahh well
I got to replace the cat anyways due to emission test i have to do to register the car. Well i think its all my fault cuz by me trying to figure out my high reving problem i cleaned out the Throthle body and even dough it said dont use throthle body cleaner well guess what i used it i think thats what caused the melting of the spark plugs ..
After i replace the cat i think everything should be fine well at least i hope.
And yes i replaced the Idle air Control valve.

ORIGINAL: wheelsup68

Dude, Your converter is junk, I wish I coulda caught you earlier b4 you cut the exhaust to find this out. Might want to run a resistance check on your fuel injectorts. It sounds like they may be staying open to long and dumping raw fuel to converter. That condition will ruin a converter pretty quickly. Oh yeah for future reference you shoulda just took out the O2 sensor b4 converter to run that test. Good luck. BTW the oter sensor you replaced was it the Idle air Control valve? You might also have to remove the Mass air flow sensor by removing the2 tamper proof torx bolts and clean the wires with windex and a Q-tip.