Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

'97 Ranger 2.3L--Mazda B2300 timing belt question

Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Default '97 Ranger 2.3L--Mazda B2300 timing belt question

Hi guys!

We have an addition to our fleet: ’97 Mazda B 2300 which is the same as Ford Ranger 2.3L. What a neat little truck and only 127000 miles on the odometer! It came with a caveat though. The engine does not run because the timing belt broke and the PO’s attempt to replace it was not successful.
I researched this thing a bit by studying the Haynes manual that came with the truck. The Haynes manual warns several times that the engine could sustain damage if the camshaft is not properly aligned. I suppose this means that the Lima engine is an interference engine. On the other hand I found posts on other forums saying the opposite. Can anyone clarify this? If it is an interference engine is there a chance the valves did not receive the kiss of death by the pistons?
Another question is about finding the proper TDC of the first cylinder. This engine has peculiar ignition system. There are 2 plugs per cylinder and there are 2 coil packs with 4 towers. Somewhere I learned that the system sparks at every revolution, meaning near TDC on the compression stroke and again near TDC at the exhaust stroke. That means I cannot use the spark sequence to determine proper alignment. I think I need to use the injector voltage to determine which spark will actually go with the power stroke. Am I correct with this?

Your expertise will be much appreciated!

Last edited by bluewind; 03-30-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 PM

you can still find tdc on the compression stroke just by removing one of the spark plugs for no.1 cylinder and put your finger in the hole just don't try to start it and if I remember right those engines had or have an over head cam. if the timing belt broke it usually meant that it most likely bent the valves or worse

Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM

Thanks, grindman.
This list here gives me hope that the engine in my truck would survive a snapped timing belt: Interference engines with timing belts - Mechanical Database
The newest entry in this list goes to '98. I have a '97.

I have no trouble finding TDC using the mark on the harmonic balancer. I can also line it up with the oil pump sprocket. If I pull the belt off I could turn the camshaft until it is on the compression stroke on cylinder #1. (The valve cover is off at this time.) This would take care of the spark because we have spark every 360 dgrees. But: will this also synchronise the fuel injection to #1? I cannot see a cam position sensor. How is the fuel injection synchronized in these engines?

Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 PM

all the fuel injected engines I've ever dealt with had the injector mounted to intake manifold therefore it doesn't really matter when they fire if the valve is closed for that piston then most times the fuel and air mixture goes to the one valve or valves that are open on the intake stroke. my dad had a 94 F-150 that was a roller motor. one of my brothers was driving it and it locked up. when it came to me for repair I put in a engine that was from an older truck and the firing order wasn't the same and I thought the same thing as most people that the injectors had to be timed with the spark plugs. it turned out that didn't matter as long as the firing order was right it ran like a new one

Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 PM

There is an enlightening video on u-tube. If you google "1996 Ford 2.3L timing marks" The video consists of 3 parts. It shows how to remove , set the marks and install a replacement timing belt. The gent provides some good instructions. See what you think. I hope you are resigned to a little bit of work on this one.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 PM

most of those engines were not a clearance engine they were made to just throw away and replace but then again it all comes down to money and what you want to do with it

Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Do you suppose it was because we wanted everything made easy and cheap that now if it is broken ,just throw it away? Have we become a throw away society?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM

Look at it this way Hanky, if it was made like was used to be in the good ole days then all car companies would be out of business. Granted nothing lasts for ever but, at least then you could get it rebuilt and go again for God only knows how long. So I guess that we have become a throw away society in a sense. Sorry sad but true!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks, to the both of you!
Hanky, this tutorial video is tops! The comments on the video help as well. The PO and i have done much of the disasembly already. He noodled a new timing belt in but he missed the timing mark on the cam shaft. So my plan is to loosen the tensioner, then turning the camshaft until I get the valves closed on #1, then match up the triangles.
I am still crossing my fingers that the valves have not been bent.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 AM

Let us know how you make out with this project OK ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '97 Ranger 2.3L--Mazda B2300 timing belt question