Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

98 Ranger 2.5 liter timing trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Default 98 Ranger 2.5 liter timing trouble

My timing belt broke while driving down the road. I had a friend pull me home, which was only about 1/2 mile. I got a new timing belt later that week and put it on. It hasn't run since. The most we can get is a bunch of black smoke coming out of the tail pipe like it is flooding. Here are the steps that I/we have done and tried.

Lined up crankshaft marks, cam shaft marks, and oil pump pulley marks. Put new belt on. Removed the #1 spark plug on drivers side, found the compression stroke by bumping the motor a time or two until the loud poof come out of spark plug hole. Backed the crankshaft sproket up slightly until the marks were lined up. Removed the belt and aligned cam shaft and oil pump sprokets. Replaced belt and put tension back on.

I've had 6 seperate people, 4 of which have very good mechanical knowledge, mess with this to make sure the timing marks were right. We've taken this belt on and off probably a total of 75 times over the last week. I really do believe the timing belt is probably on and in the right order. Here is another list of the other things we've done and tried.

Replaced spark plugs, checked compression on all valves, replaced crankshaft sensor, performed a spark test on each wire. Checked for fuel pressure in the fuel line thing that goes to the fuel injector.

The only wire we had to take off and leave off was the a/c connector. We've looked all around and I do not believe there is a wire unplugged anywhere. The most we get out of it is the motor turning and sounding like it wants to crank but wont. After a couple of tries, thick black smoke comes rolling out the tail pipe.

Please someone help, I'm about to pull what little bit of hair I have left out.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM

I think this is one for Greasemark.

I am thinking it is injecting at the wrong time and eventually there is enough fuel in each cylinder to make the noise and smoke.

Things that I would do (equivalent to shooting in the dark):

I took the valve cover off to see that #1 was on compression.
On the camshaft sprocket, you need to line up the triangles. On the oil pump sprocket you need to line up the diamonds.
Pull the battery negative and step on the brake to reset the computer.
Pull the cmp sensor and clean/check it and remount it.
Same with the MAF sensor and Crank position sensor, Throttle body Position sensor
Clean the throttle body and the Idle Air Control Valve.
There is a vacuum line going into the intake manifold that is hard to see. About like the vacuum fitting in this pic:

In general, I would check all vacuum lines.
Quadruple check the ignition wire routing. Do you have 8 all new spark plugs in it, properly gapped?

Good luck!

Last edited by bluewind; 09-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 PM

Thank you for your reply and suggestions, I will give that a go next time we get back at it. Yes, we replaced all 8 and gapped them at .44 (book said .42-.46). Have not checked any of the other sensors or pulled valve cover....will give it a try

Old 09-11-2013, 11:55 PM

If you take the valve cover off you need a new gasket.

The CMP sensor provides the main input for the computer to properly time the fuel injection. In these engines the CMP sensor is located behind the oil pump sprocket. This is the only reason why you need to line up the diamond shaped timing marks at the oil pump sprocket.
Start with this sensor first.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks, will try this after work today and let y'all know how it goes