Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Clutch master cyl or Slave??

Old 08-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Default Clutch master cyl or Slave??

Is there anyway to test to see if you have a bad clutch master cylinder or a bad slave cylinder? I don't want to have to pull the tranmission but I'm not sure which one may be the problem. My Haynes manual doesn't give much information as too being able to tell which is the problem. The master cylinder has fluid and I don't have any apparent leaks coming from the master cylinder or from the transmission. When this started the pedal was fine and then the cluch would not engage and the pedal had very little pressure. I haven't had any problems before this happened, no clutch slipping or gears grinding.

I would appreciate any input,

Thanks,
Jim

Old 08-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Default RE: Clutch master cyl or Slave??

My guess it that if you have fuild in the master, then its more likely the problem. When the slave goes the fuild will usually leak out. You still need to check all linkages make sure nothing is broke. Also I think you mean the clutch won't disengage
If it want engage or is slipping. Its time for a new clutch..[:'(]

Old 08-12-2005, 04:15 PM

I checked all the linkage and it looks OK. With the motor running and I depress the clutch pedal and let it out nothing happens the motor revs but there it no engagement of the clutch. Could the clutch disc go that fast? I didn't have any warning or detect any clutch slippage before this happened.

Thanks for the responce,
Jim

Old 08-13-2005, 01:58 AM

Heres what I did to help figure out on these trucks which one was bad ,, I went to the junk yard an got a hose off each model . I would disconnect the one on the truck , Install my junkie one . the other end I had closed off-- so as to make a plug , An if I could get a good firm pedal them I would know that the master was good.. Also I have had the slave cyl bypass internal an not leak .------- WORKED FOR ME !!!