Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Diesel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:34 AM
Default Diesel Conversion

Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and what not so... uh.. hi.

Anyway, I have a Ford Ranger (older model, not sure of the year off the top of my head but...)

Just in general I was wondering if there was ever a Diesel Ranger if so make model, etc.

If not, opinions on converting a Ranger to Diesel (expected cost, possible issues, other parts needing to be tricked or replaced)

Just curious.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Default RE: Diesel Conversion

A diesel engine was available in the 1st Generation Rangers (1983-1988). The 1983 & 1984 models were available with a 2.2L MAZDA/PERKINS diesel. That was replaced in 1985 with a turbocharged 2.3L Mitsubishi diesel that was available thru the 1988 model. If looking to convert to a diesel, I believe that Cummins still makes a 4-Cylinder diesel that will fit into the Ranger.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks common sense.

I've looked around on E-bay and various other sites but have had ZERO success finding a factory made Ranger Diesel.

Not that I'm asking you to do my research for me, but if you might know of a site, or dealership, or someone who has access to these vehicles or maybe even a consumer report about them that would be the aweseome.

"I imagine most of these Diesel rangers are being driven by bearded men who had them since they came out and will continue to drive them until a new version of a Diesel Ranger comes out.... Someday..."

lol...(Stole that quote from the VW Diesel Truck forum)

From what I've read the VW's are rock solid if not very powerful trucks, but I have an affinity for my Ranger and would like to stay with an american model vehicle if only for easy and cheaper access to parts and the such.

I'm going to do a little browsing on the Ford Diesels to see what I can dig up, but any extra information on your part would be super welcome.

And not to change the subject, but off the top of your head... how difficult/expensive do you think it would be to locate and repair an oil leak on a ranger? I go through about a quart a week (I know that can't be good, but the thing still runs like a tank) and I'm not exactly a novice with an engine, but I wouldn't go so far to say I'm a "mechanic".. I just don't have access to a Ranger book at this time and don't know if resealing the tubes/pipes/engine parts to prevent leakage involves having to remove the engine or any larger vital components or if maybe it's just a screwdriver and new O-rings kind of a fix.

As Always, Feedback is mad appreciated.

Jake

Old 12-20-2007, 06:52 AM

If your truck is old enough to have a distributor, then look for oil leaking around the base of the distributor. There is a small O-ring that tends to fail over time. It's hard to see, but you'll see oil coming down the back side of the engine. The only other place that they tend to leak is the valve covers. Never seen an oil pan gasket leak. Also, depending on where you live, the oil pan itself could be leaking from rust.