Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

02 Taurus cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:16 AM

A test lite is a simple tool where a wire is clamped to a good ground connection and when the pointed probe is touched to any place where power is available , the lite will illuminate. A visual check for power. A voltmeter will do just about the same thing ,but there are certain places where a typical test lite cannot be used like some computer circuits. What we are looking for is power to the coils and hopefully determining whether the computer is getting the correct signals to fire the coils thereby providing spark. Again ,how did you determine you were not getting any spark?

Old 12-31-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
A test lite is a simple tool where a wire is clamped to a good ground connection and when the pointed probe is touched to any place where power is available , the lite will illuminate. A visual check for power. A voltmeter will do just about the same thing ,but there are certain places where a typical test lite cannot be used like some computer circuits. What we are looking for is power to the coils and hopefully determining whether the computer is getting the correct signals to fire the coils thereby providing spark. Again ,how did you determine you were not getting any spark?
I inserted a Phillips screwdriver of the appropriate diameter into the plug boot and held it close to a known good ground while some one cranked the engine. I had no spark at any distance.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:40 PM

That coil pack can fail and shut down the engine which might be what happened with your vehicle. Without the right test equipment the only choice you might have is to replace the coil.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:22 PM

That coil pack can fail and shut down the engine which might be what happened with your vehicle. Without the right test equipment the only choice you might have is to replace the coil.
What are the ways I can test the coilpak(s) can it be done without removing the upper plenum? I notice that mine is hiding up near the firewall behind the plenum.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by BillSinclair
What are the ways I can test the coilpak(s) can it be done without removing the upper plenum? I notice that mine is hiding up near the firewall behind the plenum.
I searched on line and found the ohm ratings and procedure for checking the primary and secondary circuits in the coil and mine failed. I also checked my plugs especially the firewall side bank which are nearly impossible to remove without removing the upper plenum. Anyway I replaced the coil-pak and all spark plugs. It STILL will not start.

AAGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

now what?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM

I think you may want to look at the crank position sensor located at the passengers side of the car. This is what sends a signal to the coil to fire it when starting.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM

Do you have spark now that you replaced the coil pack?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by schroensr
I think you may want to look at the crank position sensor located at the passengers side of the car. This is what sends a signal to the coil to fire it when starting.
Schroensr,The crank sensor was replaced already as noted several posts back, thank you anyway however

Do you have spark now that you replaced the coil pack?
Hanky, I haven't checked yet. It was cold and raining and late ( I'm working in the driveway ) when I finished with installing the new coil and when it did not start I just put away my tolls and went inside to get dry and warm. On top of having problems with the car, I have been in and out of the hospital and to an array of doctors appointments in the last couple of weeks trying to control an infected foot injury ( I'm diabetic ). This has put a damper on my efforts to work on the car. Today it is 10 degrees with a -7 wind chill index and I haven't worked up the desire to go outside and pop the hood. I'm on the verge of a meltdown right now if something doesn't start going my may here. thank you for your advice so far and I hope you stay with me till I get this thing running. Once I check for spark ( at the plug end of the wires and at the coil towers both, I will post the results. If perchance I still have no spark where should I look next?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Bill if I may,
No car is worth increasing complications in situations like you are in.
If possible wait it out until the weather gets more cooperative.
There are a few different paths this thing with the car can go. Once the weather permits disconnect the negative cable from the battery and hold it on the vehicle's positive cable at the battery for at least 5 minutes to allow the keep alive memory to be erased, then reconnect it. Before doing anything else check for spark. We'll be in the area to help and if not soon enough there are other folks on this forum that will help also, it's a good forum and we usually work together. Stay warm and feel better !!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:08 PM

OK, I checked for spark at the plug end and at the coil and there is nothing. I crossed the battery cables as noted and tried again and still nothing.

HELP!!!!!

Quick Reply: 02 Taurus cranks but won't start