Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

1988 taurus wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Default 1988 taurus wont start

Need to get help on what could be the issue with this car. My Wife was driving this car and it just quit. Pulled it back home and there is no spark from the coil.

Coil, Ignition Control Module, ECU/ECM and 200 bucks later still no luck starting the car. I have used the How to Test the Ford Ignition Control Module to trouble shoot the problem and the PIP is working. There is no voltage change on the Ignition Coil Control Signal lead.
I need more ideas on what could be the problem.
Pulling my hair out at this point.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by cewill99
Need to get help on what could be the issue with this car. My Wife was driving this car and it just quit. Pulled it back home and there is no spark from the coil.

Coil, Ignition Control Module, ECU/ECM and 200 bucks later still no luck starting the car. I have used the How to Test the Ford Ignition Control Module to trouble shoot the problem and the PIP is working. There is no voltage change on the Ignition Coil Control Signal lead.
I need more ideas on what could be the problem.
Pulling my hair out at this point.
Here's a shot in the dark: what about the Hall sensor inside the distributor (if your car has one)? Tt' s easy to find out if your car has one: remove the distributor cap and rotor, on the distributor shaft there should be a slotted metal cylinder underneath, with the slots swinging by a small sensor - that's the Hall transducer). If that one is not working, there won't be any sparks at all.

HTH ...