Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

1999 Taurus - Wont start/turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Default 1999 Taurus - Wont start/turn over

In about a month's time my taurus got harder and harder to turn over, previous to this it had sat in a garage for about 3 months. Before that I found out that the heater core is not working and the thermostat was gone for an uncertain amount of time, along with some leaking of the radiator (a small amount per week). Anyway, in the last 2 weeks of that month it was hard to start, when I turned it off it would not start for a while. As I drove it more I would have to wait longer and longer to restart it, and it got harder and harder for it to turn over. By the last week it turned over a little bit and then stopped, and never turned over again. I took the battery to auto zone and had it charged, put it in and it didnt work. Here is what happends now. The doom, headlights radio all work. When I try to start it I hear "one click" (starter?) and some faint sounds I dont know what they are. About one in a hundred tries it starts to turn over (belts move a tiny bit) and then stops. The headlights go out or go really low when I turn the key. I am moving to CA in one week. Is this something I can fix or do you all know some good salvage places in Chicago. I will appreciate any and all info. Thank you.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Default RE: 1999 Taurus - Wont start/turn over

Hello!!! I'm not an expert but it sounds like your starter could be going bad. The same thing happened to my trans am.

Hope it helps

Old 11-19-2005, 08:51 PM

Do the belts and stuff move if the starter is no good, because they dont move at all. And should I be hearing more than one click per key turn? I just hear one click from the starter right now. Thanks

Old 11-23-2005, 10:45 AM

yea sounds like a starter, if the starter just catches the belts will turn a bit , if the belts dont move then the starter is not engaging. Could be a faulty starter solined also,,, but sorta sounds like a starter, Just bypass the solined with a set of jumper cables an see if it starts , if it does then I would say the starter is ok , But with the lits going dim I have to say the starter is shorted out pulling too much juice from the battery .

Old 11-24-2005, 01:17 PM

OK i have jumper cables and know where the starter is. can you tell me how you bypass the solined???

Thanks in advance, have a great turkey day

MAntis