Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

alarm issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Default alarm issue

New to the forum, so "Howdy!"

My 2000 SEL has a problem where when you lock the doors with the remote fob and set the alarm, the alarm will go off after a varied period of time. It doesn't throw any kind of code for the OBD scanner to read, but it is very annoying. Anyone know how to tell which alarm sensor is tripping so I can replace it?

Thanks
Dan

Old 11-28-2005, 02:49 AM
Default RE: alarm issue

You really need a scanner that can either read in real-time which switch is showing open or that can read a "Last Alarm Event" pid(Parameter Idenification). "Last Alarm Event" makes it childs play. You get the last 8 sensor reasons the alarm was triggered. In either case it's an easy diagnosis and repair with the right equipment. I might be able to help by throwing out a couple scenarios I've come across during common repairs.

1. In and out of the drivers door alot wears the switch thats located in the door latch. They can test good sometimes, but with heat or cold expand or contract and cause the switch to open. When the alarm sounds, is the dome light on? That would point to an interior door ajar switch.
2. There's also a switch for the hood. Look all around the edge of the body where the hood closes to. I wish I could say exactly where, but I've had beer or four and just don't remember. Look for a bent bracket or maybe even previous body repairs where the guys fixing it forgot to re-attach a connector. Aftermarket hoods are also prone to mis-shaping with tempurature. Turning the adjustment nut upwards usually reapirs the trouble, if that is in fact "it"

Access to that "Last Alarm Event" PID really will lead you indecisively to your problem.